preparing circuit for mesh analysis

karbo001

Joined Mar 31, 2009
I have a school task to replace this circuit with its Thevenin or Norton equivalent, I consider myself to be an electric circuit dyslectic and thats why I need help from someone. Anyway I will start to do a mesh analysis and then KVL and stuff, but thats later. As I understand the circuit must be modulated a bit before you can set up the KVL equations, for example the branches with lonely current sources must be removed. Its this correct shown in the picture? Any answer very much appreciated!

Attachments

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Unfortunately your method looks incorrect.

This is quite a challenging problem - in particular by way of the tedium to be endured in solving it by mesh analysis.

At best it can be described as a useful exercise in that art.

In the absence of knowledge of some more powerful shortcuts in circuit reduction - say by using superposition and star<->delta transformations, the only real simplification I can see to make is the elimination of R1, since it's voltage drop is just E1.

If you have only just started your studies in this subject you might ask the teacher to cut you some slack and pose some less laborious problems to begin with. Nothing critical intended of your teacher, by the way - they are probably hoping to hone your skills. And there's nothing wrong with that.

:)

karbo001

Joined Mar 31, 2009
I am (only) allowed to use this methods to calculate tensions/currents

Ohms law
KCL
KVL
mesh analysis
nodal analysis
method with incidence matrix

If I only get how the correct simplified circuit will look like before I start with the mesh or nodal analysis I think I'll be fine. There should be a resistance r5 on the right side of I2, missed that but I think it can be removed.

Last edited:

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I guess I expected you would have been expected to use a particular range of options.

Yep - I wondered about the resistor numbering and a possible missing value.

Re: circuit reduction - I think only R1 can be eliminated for the reason stated earlier. Can't suggest anything else that might be obvious.

As far as I can see (not so well these days!) & it's a personal choice, but whether you use mesh or nodal analysis you will have at best, five unknowns and therefore five simultaneous equations to solve.

I will try to draw up the barely "minimized" circuit and post it here later.