Powerboard that cuts power after a time, have to press button to add time

Domarius

Joined Sep 1, 2013
I know this is not a real complex project idea but I'm super new and know it's dangerous to work with anything to do with mains power. But the fact is I can't find a device in store or online that will do this;

I own an electric frying pan, and a soldering iron, and these devices are bad for someone who's forgetful like me. I've left the soldering iron on before and it was discovered in time by my house mate.

I want something like those timer devices, but instead of coming on and off at specific times of the day - I want to have to press a button to get 1 hour of power, and after 1 hour it will cut automatically - I need to press it again to get another hour.
  1. Does something like this already exist commercially? I couldn't find anything online for the life of me, and the store clerk was stumped. I'm actually surprised something like this doesn't exist already
  2. If I was attempting to make this myself, what would be involved, is there a safe way to do this?

Domarius

Joined Sep 1, 2013
Thanks for the answers guys - the link really made the difference, because even search for "Appliance timer" I seem to turn up parts for washing machines and dryers.

But how would that regulate a power socket? Looks like it's meant to replace a light switch. I have appliances that I plug into a power board (eg. electric fry pan, soldering iron)

The other thing is, a separate device would be best since I am renting and probably won't get permission to have one installed in the wall.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You want to get the type where your appliance plugs into the timer. It won't be the one button push you're looking for, but it'll get the job done without having to design something.

If you wanted to go overboard, you could research X10, Smarthome, or similar computer controlled modules/switches. Some of the controllers probably have timers; I don't recall. I use a computer to program my controller.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Sounds like a combination of power socket with a kitchen timer built-in. I doubt there is such a product on the market.

But a 24-hour timer with power socket is easy to find.:)

Allen

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Search for a power timer. You need something that plugs in to a wall outlet and contains a similar socket to plug appliances into. I didn't see any that only did one hour, but I'm sure you can buy something with a longer maximum time limit and learn how to set it for one hour.

Domarius

Joined Sep 1, 2013
Hmmm I think I may have found one of those 7 day on/off timers that has a "countdown" mode which is the exact functionality I described (set how much time and it will power off, eg. after 1 hour)

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction, especially #12.