Power supply with AC Port built in

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
Is there a term for a power supply with the AC port built in? Kind of like an ATX power supply, but without all the pre configured voltages.... I am guessing most people tend to just keep the AC input and the actual AC to DC converter separate and just wire it themselves?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is there a term for a power supply with the AC port built in? Kind of like an ATX power supply, but without all the pre configured voltages....
It's called a power supply.
1696865456808.png

If you want multiple output voltages, they're called dual, triple, etc.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Looking for an internal power supply....
You can remove the case from the one I showed and mount it in a different enclosure. Or you could further disassemble and pick and choose what and where to install the pieces.

Try open frame power supply. They often come with a single fixed output.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Are you talking about the receptacle for the line cord on a PC power supply?

Yes, there are many power supplies that don’t have that. Most have a line cord that is not detachable. Others have screw terminal or just two wires coming out.

What kind if power supply are you looking for? Voltage(s) and current?

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
Are you talking about the receptacle for the line cord on a PC power supply?

Yes, there are many power supplies that don’t have that. Most have a line cord that is not detachable. Others have screw terminal or just two wires coming out.

What kind if power supply are you looking for? Voltage(s) and current?
Yes. I am just looking for a 24V supply, around 400 watts. There are numerous choices that have screw terminal inputs, but it would be nice if I could just have the AC portion prewired. I am guessing most people want the freedom to place the AC input plug where they want regardless of where the power supply is located?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Pick up a PS from a discarded/trashed PC, remove PS innards , strip out old unit and fit yours into the case!
You have the added feature of a output socket and fan.

1696869012187.png

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes. I am just looking for a 24V supply, around 400 watts. There are numerous choices that have screw terminal inputs, but it would be nice if I could just have the AC portion prewired. I am guessing most people want the freedom to place the AC input plug where they want regardless of where the power supply is located?
Those supplies are designed to be built into another enclosure. You cannot have the screw terminals exposed.

If you are not looking to put it in another enclosure, look for an external power supply. Most will have the AC cord wired in. I have never seen one with the detachable cord like a PC supply.

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
Those supplies are designed to be built into another enclosure. You cannot have the screw terminals exposed.

If you are not looking to put it in another enclosure, look for an external power supply. Most will have the AC cord wired in. I have never seen one with the detachable cord like a PC supply.
Yeah, that is why I am looking for it. I want to put it in another enclosure, but I would like the AC portion to be pre wired so all I have to do is screw the supply in and hook up the DC portion and call it a day (like ATX power supplies). It looks like it is just not a thing, which I am kind of surprised about.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly there are power supplies that include the I.E.C. power inlet as shown. That includes a few "tabletop" laptop computer power supplies and quite a few others. There are also many power supplies that have the mains connection cord permanently attached and connected.
Mostly the choice depends on the application.