Power supply survey

fospsq

Joined Oct 27, 2015
For my school engineering project, I am going to build a power supply for electronics hobbyists. I have to do some research first, so I would be really grateful if anyone fills out this short survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K9RGBZJ

My idea is to make a bench power supply that is powered by a laptop charger, so I would not be working straight from the mains (not allowed). Thanks for your help!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In the part of the survey where it says "4. Please rank the following features according to which you find most important in a power supply:"

You might want to mention whether selecting "1" signifies the most important feature or the least important feature.

fospsq

Joined Oct 27, 2015
Draw a circuit diagram and we can comment and assist you better.
I can't draw a circuit diagram until I know what I'm going to do. I'll use the results of the survey to work out what is most important in a power supply and then try a design a circuit for it!

fospsq

Joined Oct 27, 2015
The idea is that I decide what type of power supply to build based on responses to the survey. So, if everyone wants a three channel power supply, that's what I'll try and build. One of the requirements for the project is that we research what our target market wants.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
who is going to be using the psu, You or The Public?

the only requirements you need to work out is

1) what voltage range do you need.
2) what current range do you need.
3) SMPS or Transformer linear.

that will determine the size of components to select and the casing,