Power supply output Current?

Bigbizkit

Joined Oct 29, 2015
Hi guys... Im just confuse here.. I have a 3A 24V power transformer.
I used it in my diy pedals as a bridge type power supply.
Just wondering what output current will i get if i use a 78XX series voltage regulator since this regulators has an output current of like 1-1.5A.
2. Does anyone has a dual voltage regulated power supply schematic? Hmmm.. A 3A/15V power supply perhaps?
Would you be so kind to share it?
Thank you very much!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The 78XX will at least try to supply the current required. After that it will overheat as it exceeds it's rating and then eventually fail. The capabilities of the transformer really have nothing to do with it.

Please be aware that if you are considering powering something like a 7805 then you will need to dissipate the excess voltage through heat. You would be better to find a transformer that more closely matches your required output or

Bigbizkit

Joined Oct 29, 2015
Thank you very much spinnaker.
Another question, i use lm317 adjustable voltage regulator, when i turn my 2 pedals on it cuses hum especially on high volume... What do u think is the prob?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Just wondering what output current will i get if i use a 78XX series voltage regulator since this regulators has an output current of like 1-1.5A.
2. Does anyone has a dual voltage regulated power supply schematic? Hmmm.. A 3A/15V power supply perhaps?
Thank you very much!
Get a data sheet for a 78xx voltage regulator of your choice. They usually have suggestions for higher currents and other options. http://www.alldatasheet.com is a personal favorite place to get data sheets. The best data sheets are too big to post here. Or just google for it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thank you very much spinnaker.
Another question, i use lm317 adjustable voltage regulator, when i turn my 2 pedals on it cuses hum especially on high volume... What do u think is the prob?

Probably filtering. Post your schematic. Others here with far more experience than me might be able to help.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Thank you very much!
Some options using fixed voltage regulators

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note that a transformer should be derated to no more than about 60% of it's RMS rating when used to generate DC using a bridge rectifier and capacitor filter.
Thus your 3A transformer is good for about 1.8A DC max. from the rectifier-filter output.