Power supply for projector bulb

awwwt

Joined Aug 24, 2015
Hello,

I have purchased these bulbs - with the intention of using them with an Arduino.

I thought I could use a MOSFET transistor with a power supply to switch the bulbs using a signal coming from an Arduino, but was wondering what the most appropriate power supply for this was?

I have looked at this as an option, but was wondering it if would be OK.

I am interested about what would happen also if I plugged my 12v 20w supply into this battery? (Just through positive and negative terminals..)

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
That power supply is rated at 100W. Your bulbs draw 100W each. Hence, the supply you referenced could power one light. If that's all you want, you are ok. I suspect you may want more than one light.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello,

I have purchased these bulbs - with the intention of using them with an Arduino.

I thought I could use a MOSFET transistor with a power supply to switch the bulbs using a signal coming from an Arduino, but was wondering what the most appropriate power supply for this was?

I have looked at this as an option, but was wondering it if would be OK.

I am interested about what would happen also if I plugged my 12v 20w supply into this battery? (Just through positive and negative terminals..)

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Well, you bought a 12V , 100 W bulb. That means you need a power supply that can supply at least 100 W at 12V.

A 20W power supply will not provide 100W so it is not appropriate. If you mean D cell or AA cell batteries whe. You talk about batteries, then no. Batteries won't work. You'll need a lead-acid battery (car battery).

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A cold bulb will take a large current at startup.
The inrush current may be a problem for the powersupply, as you will run it on its limit.

Bertus

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It he power supply you linked to, 100W, is NOT likely enough for anything but 100W of LED bulbs. LEDs are instant on and don't need to heat up to perform. Your projector bulbs can take significantly more power in the first milliseconds of startup. Plenty of time for a modern power supply to go I to protection mode (or blow a fuse) because of excess current.

awwwt

Joined Aug 24, 2015
It he power supply you linked to, 100W, is NOT likely enough for anything but 100W of LED bulbs. LEDs are instant on and don't need to heat up to perform. Your projector bulbs can take significantly more power in the first milliseconds of startup. Plenty of time for a modern power supply to go I to protection mode (or blow a fuse) because of excess current.
Thank you for pointing this out - so does this mean I might need to buy a higher wattage power supply than what the bulb is rated for? Perhaps this one?

Many thanks