Power supply for Camera, 12V-8V Conversion

pete81

Joined Sep 28, 2021
Hello all,
First post here so hoping it's in the correct place.
Straight to it... I'm into astrophotography and wanting to use a single power supply that will control my setup - I'm sure that's a line from a film (Lord of the Rings in case you missed it).
So, I have a 12V supply to power my mount (it actually outputs 13.8V with plenty of current to spare, so power requirement is fine - link). I'm also running a 12V-5V Buck converter (link) and powering a Raspberry Pi mini PC via a USB cable. So far so good.
My issue is the camera power supply - I have a mains camera dummy battery which works and supplies 8.3V. In an attempt to use the PSU above, I tried a buck converter approach (link) using 2 in series, to reduce the 13.8V to 10.8V and then 10.8V to 7.8V, but couldn't get the first to output more than 5.7V so that approach wouldn't work. Perhaps a dud-first one, I never tried others and sent the order back.
I then purchased (two) 12V-8V step-down adapter (link) which should have worked with my camera, but the first one didn't even put out 1V so sent back and tried a second which worked for a night before giving up on me.
I'm therefore left with two options - use another 12V-5V USB buck as per the RPi, and then a USB camera power cable (link), or ask advice on adjustable buck converters which will do the job of the poor quality Amazon one. Hence my post here. Going from 13V-5V-8V seems a bit silly and adds extra components and cost, but is likely to work well, but I'm more interested in going for a 12V-8V converter that will do the job for me and work.
TLDR:
Looking for a means to convert 13.8V to 8.3V for a DSLR - recommendations appreciated as have been unsuccessful with duds to date!
Thanks in advance!

pete81

Joined Sep 28, 2021
Hi Eric,
Thanks for your response. The rating of the USB cable is 2-4A at 5V, with the dummy battery quoting 7.4V at 2A. Using it with the Nevada PSU last night at 13V, there was little current drawn (<1A on the PSU display) so I would be pretty sure this is to be safe. Hence my thinking about buck converters which (from what I have seen and in my minimal understanding) can happily output 3A, so well within the limits of what I'm looking for.
HTH?

pete81

Joined Sep 28, 2021
Bumping this for some help please.
I had assumed that a variable buck converter would take a voltage in and reduce it to a desired output, up to a maximum of V_out = V_in - 1.5V (ish), so by feeding 13V into a variable buck converter, I can get an output of up to 10V quite happily. My issue is the one that I tried wouldn't give an output of more than 5.7V.
I've used other bucks to give USB output and the 5V3A one that I have works a treat, so hopefully incorrectly assumed that the voltage out is more limited than I initially thought.

Can I ask if I am completely wrong about what a buck converter does or did I just get a 'dud' to start with?

Assuming the converter does what I think it is meant to, would anyone recommend a buck converter (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DYP6L35) that will take 13V in and output a voltage that I can vary (specifically between 7-8V, noting obviously that it can supply sufficient current, where the url mentioned specs up to 3A).
Many thanks