Yes, but how seriously do I have to take it?The 2A rating referrs to the secondary winding.
Does it mean the melting point of the insulation? of the wire?
...or is that a dumb question?
Peter
Last edited:
Yes, but how seriously do I have to take it?The 2A rating referrs to the secondary winding.
Okay, thanks Bernard.You should be able to operate continusly at 2A, @ 3A-maybe 1/2 hr. @ 4A, maybe 5 min. When the transformer is too hot to hold- time to shut down. Note: maybes do not come with guarantees.
So what do you think would happen if I shorted out the secondary outputs?You should be able to operate continusly at 2A, @ 3A-maybe 1/2 hr. @ 4A, maybe 5 min. When the transformer is too hot to hold- time to shut down. Note: maybes do not come with guarantees.
But wouldn't the smell of burning insulation give me time to break the short?You would cook your transformer, start a fire, and hopefully blow a breaker. If you have a 20A breaker, you will burn it up before the breaker trips.
That's why I plan to keep the pwr supply in an open box as close to me as possible.usually by the time you smell it, it would have already shorted the windings in the transformer....
B. Morse
I'm not saying that's a bad design, it's just that I've spent way too much time on my current build -- and cutting foam is only a side event of my current project, and I hope never to have to cut foam again!
I don't know enough about electricity to see how that triac circuit will help me.no, I am not saying to build the circuit, but use it as an example on where to place the proper fuse in your current setup.....
B. Morse
| Thread starter | Similar threads | Forum | Replies | Date |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| C | Choosing a power supply for a long LED strip | Power Electronics | 8 | |
| K | Power Supply for Guitar pedals | Power Electronics | 17 | |
| D | DC motor controller/power supply | Power Electronics | 17 | |
|
|
Alternative power supply | Power Electronics | 2 | |
| H | Need help selecting a power supply for a grid-style hotwire foam cutter | Power Electronics | 43 |