Power Factor & Transformer

Raj420

Joined Jan 14, 2018
HI This is appala raju im Electrician i want to kn ow about Power factor
What is Power factor.
How it will be a part of electrical subject.
Where where it will uses power factor.
When it will be use and How it will be use.
Why we need a power factor.
What purpose.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you have a facility where there is large leading current (capacitive) loads or lagging (inductive) loads then you will end up paying for power that is not a reflection of the actual power used.
Measures to correct this consist of fitting capacitor/inductive device banks etc to the incoming supply.
You should find a good deal of information on the subject by Google search etc.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
People learn about this and assume, for no particular reason, that there is a universal solution. The solution set exists for a particular load condition. Change the load and you change the required solution.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Power factor is the ratio of the actual power delivered to an AC load divided by the apparent power (volts * amps).
It's just a measurement and is not otherwise "needed" or "used" for anything.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Well! 3 blind men and the elephant! Crutschow surprises me the most though! Of course, they're all accurate.

I'll add that simply because a transformer uses inductance to function, it doesn't noticably affect the power factor. I'll also mention that having certain types of ballasted lighting and lightly loaded motors comprise a high percentage of your measured load, will typically produce a "LAGGING" power factor, which could be corrected by adding pure capacitance to that load, or certain types of motors which have a LEADING power factor.

(4th blind man, same elephant, longest run-on sentence!)

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Electrical service provider for the province here, recently offered a free seminar on the cause and effects on poor power factor and the means of correction, etc.
Max.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Raj420......The reason we have a power factor is because.....in reactive circuits the current gets separated from the voltage..........in time.

Do you understand what that means? Are you familiar with ohms law? And do you understand reactance?

smooth_jamie

Joined Jan 4, 2017
Hi Raj, I shouldn't need to point out that had you done a bit of preliminary work and Google searched this question, you would of found the answer you were looking for without posting. I assume with you being an electrician you are intelligent enough to understand the technical nature of the articles it will yield. However, I'll indulge your question anyway:
HI This is appala raju im Electrician i want to kn ow about Power factor
1. What is Power factor.
2. How it will be a part of electrical subject.
3. Where where it will uses power factor.
4. When it will be use and How it will be use.
5. Why we need a power factor.
6. What purpose.
1. It is the ratio of true power over apparent power https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor
2. It is only applicable if the system in question contains AC electrical power
3. Commercially companies can be charged more money by their suppliers for having a low power factor, so it is worthwhile knowing how to compensate for this through calculation
4. Engineers are only concerned with PF in commercial/industrial applications (not residential). PF is frequently monitored
5. To understand the amount of reactive power/ true power/ and apparent power in the system (Google power factor triangle), and to compensate for this through calculation.
6. To reduce reactive power in an AC system, therefore reducing the cost to commercial/industrial applications

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
(7th blind man chiming in)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

Apparent Power is volts x amps in units of VA or kVA.
Real Power is the power consumed by resistive loads in units of watts or kW.
Power Factor = Real Power / Apparent Power = kW / kVA

The power utility needs to know the power factor because it has to upgrade its generation and delivery system.
It charges industrial users extra to compensate for the extra cost of generation and delivery.