Power dissipation in bridge rectifier

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Dice is actually the plural of die. It refers to the raw silicon chip without the surrounding package. If I had to guess the bridge might be implemented on one die or two dice.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Dice is actually the plural of die. It refers to the raw silicon chip without the surrounding package. If I had to guess the bridge might be implemented on one die or two dice.
I would go with a "per die" specification and the rating for 2 die conducting at once - in normal operation; only 2 die should be conducting at once, so there's no reason for all 4 at once.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would go with a "per die" specification and the rating for 2 die conducting at once - in normal operation; only 2 die should be conducting at once, so there's no reason for all 4 at once.
I'm not saying the usage is correct, I'm just commenting on the etymology of the word which was appropriated by the semiconductor industry from an entirely different environment.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I believe "dice" is a misuse and it should be "dies". Dice is only the plural of die when referring to the game cubes, not when talking about a mechanical mold.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe "dice" is a misuse and it should be "dies". Dice is only the plural of die when referring to the game cubes, not when talking about a mechanical mold.
It has been a matter of some dispute for nearly 45 years. Can't remember the last time it came up.

johndeaton

Joined Sep 23, 2015
Thanks everyone. I'll go with the 250 C/W to be safe (although that really limits the amount of current I can source). Truth be told, this was really the wrong application for that part. Oh well. Learning from mistakes is the best way :)