Posting ethiquette

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi to jrap and the moderators,

it has been my observation that many of our poster/member but not all, " does not ackowledge replies made to their enquery" by not acknowledging the reply, leaves the person making the reply hanging and wandering whether his/her reply was understood by the concerned poster.

i would like to make a suggestion like putting a "must read topic about posting ethiquette" on every forum like in the Gen. Info, Project, Homework and the rest.

i hope you would consider this suggestion.

thanx

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by mozikluv@May 20 2004, 07:58 AM
hi to jrap and the moderators,

it has been my observation that many of our poster/member but not all, " does not ackowledge replies made to their enquery" by not acknowledging the reply, leaves the person making the reply hanging and wandering whether his/her reply was understood by the concerned poster.

i would like to make a suggestion like putting a "must read topic about posting ethiquette" on every forum like in the Gen. Info, Project, Homework and the rest.

i hope you would consider this suggestion.

thanx
Hi mozikluv,

I agree with what you are saying, and it is something I have noted myself.

What are the kind of things you would like put into this "must read" topic? I know there are various 'codes of netiquette' floating around and some of these ideas could be incorporated into such a topic.

Whilst I do appreciate what you are saying, sadly I feel you can't really make people reply once they have an answer (although it would be polite to). I think by opening up such a discussion here we can at least lay down some general posting rules which we can incorporate into a 'posting code of netiquette' which could be posted at the top of every forum. I would personally be more than greatful to draw up such a code.

Other forum member can feel free to contribute to this discussion if they wish, but I am interested in hearing what you all have to say about my comments.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi Dave and Mozikluv,

Some feedback would be nice to have. Perhaps something like a check box to indicate "got what I need, thanx", or "please tell me more".

On the other side, some topics are hard to get at because they are too broad, or else no enough information is given. It's hard to get everyone on the same page.

Beenthere

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
]hi dave and beenthere,

i agree to what beenthere suggested about replies like a simple thanx or got what i need.

i would like to add, "pls. explain further this portion only"

another good observation is the manner of presenting the problem, it is very hard to answer if the question is vague or generalized. i would like to suggest if the problem concerns a non-working project, the schem should be always be included so who ever will make the response can easily diagnosed the problem.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I can fully understand what you are both getting at with the broad topics, in these circumstances I just ask them to elaborate what they are asking.

Some feedback would be nice to have. Perhaps something like a check box to indicate "got what I need, thanx", or "please tell me more".
I'm not sure how easy that would be to implement on the boards, maybe jrap could give us some indication of the practicality of this. Simply if people followed general netiquette they could just type your responses like so many people on this forum do. Maybe having boxes to check takes the discussion out of the forums.

another good observation is the manner of presenting the problem, it is very hard to answer if the question is vague or generalized. i would like to suggest if the problem concerns a non-working project, the schem should be always be included so who ever will make the response can easily diagnosed the problem.
Good point. Maybe this is where a "Read Me" or "Guide to Better Posting" thread pinned to the top of the boards like you suggested, could come in handy.

To be honest I would be pleased to draw up a "Guide to Better Posting" thread that we could pin to the top of the forums, but I would need help in drawing up the content (this is where you guys come into it!). My exams don't finish till around 10th June so I won't be able to give it much attention, but I would appreciate ideas and comments on this matter. Cheers :)

Dave