Posting a Rrestricted thread??

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
And maybe the site software experts could just program in an actuarially correct length of thread life, at the end of which would be its "expiry" date, after which no further posts would be allowed.
I agree auto closing would be best.
Should such a scheme be adopted -- I feel the 'clock' should start with the latest post by the TS/OP -- And, moreover, that the thread should always remain 'un-locked' to the TS and (legitimately) 'resurrect' upon further activity (posts) by same...

My $.02

Best regards
HP:)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
My suggestion of setting a time limit on thread life was intended as hyperbole to convey my opinion that the whole idea of castigating members who add to "old" threads is wrong. Old or new, long or short, naive or sophisticated, interesting or boring, etc., every thread should be available for replies for as long as any member has interest. Members who aren't interested don't have to read any post in a thread that doesn't meet their "age" standard, just as they don't have to read any post in any thread that doesn't meet their standard for length, sophistication, interest, or any other criterion. After all, what's old to you may be new to someone else.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We have had this discussion, but here goes again. A thread belongs to the OP. You may disagree with the basic premise, but it is how this site is run.

An OP retains ownership even if they don't respond in a year or 5. You find the subject interesting, start your own thread, and you will own your thread. You can refer back to the other thread as a reference. You may not "claim" someone elses thread as your own.

Different forums operate differently, this is how this one operates.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
We have had this discussion, but here goes again. A thread belongs to the OP. You may disagree with the basic premise, but it is how this site is run.

An OP retains ownership even if they don't respond in a year or 5. You find the subject interesting, start your own thread, and you will own your thread. You can refer back to the other thread as a reference. You may not "claim" someone elses thread as your own.

I was not discussing the "ownership" of a thread or the hijacking of a thread. I was discussing whether or not it is appropriate for any member to correct another member for simply responding to a thread that has been dormant for some undefined period of time. I have seen members that were criticized for responding to an OP's original question simply because of the origin date of the thread, and I think that is counterproductive to the purpose of this forum.

I understand how the forum operates.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Most forums operate in a similar manner as this one. I don't know if an auto close option exists in the setup. The option to delete older threads have always been incorporated in the software.

I have advocated the closing of older threads for many years, however, if there is no automatic feature to do so, I would not want to waste a moderators time to accomplish that task, especially if they are non-compensated moderators. Given the labor involved with the initial closings, my opine on this topic remains my opinion and will never see the light of day till someone incorporates an auto close feature. Even then, the owners have the option of listening to the reasons why and decide on what they want to do.

I do know of a forum that "archives" older threads in a single archive folder, but that too is labor intensive.

I can't say I never "criticized" someone for necroposting, I try not to do it. Necroposting has been around almost as long as forums.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Mostly because of currency. It wasn't this forum. I see the intrinsic value in keeping the thread open here, especially one that went unanswered or where one can add to the scholarship.

When one discusses the value of the thread, does the thread lose currency once the inquiry has been answered satisfactorily? I think so, but that is the nature of a Q&A type forum. There are some threads here that meet that standard. The vast majority fade away and enough are resurrected to ensure the term necroposting is used.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

Let me tell you that the concept of "ownership" makes me laugh. Seems kind of childish I could end alleging "that is my thread". It borders the ridiculous to me.

The first point is to stop calling AAC, forum, which, according to the most of dictionaries you browse or my own lexicon, is a place where concepts like "views", "exchange", "discussion", "conversation" are not alien to members. Maybe it could be transformed in a simple "free questions-answers service". Stackexchange anyone? But they say it upfront what clears things up. But, you know, complete happiness does not exist. Your questions are judged and qualified! by voluntary members...what, as I reckon, uses around 25% of the bandwith.

Life is too short, no matter how you look at it and time is the asset you cannot replenish.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, and you are right about life being too short. Complaining about that which will not change is not going to cause change.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I see the intrinsic value in keeping the thread open here, especially one that went unanswered or where one can add to the scholarship.
On that we're agreed!:)

When one discusses the value of the thread, does the thread lose currency once the inquiry has been answered satisfactorily? I think so,
Therein lies the difference in our perspectives - In this context, I don't equate 'value' to 'currency' - moreover 'satisfactory resolution' seems a relative concept at best? -- FWIW I don't see a problem with 'necroposting' so long as the thread is read in-full prior to 'resurrection' and no attempted change of direction is manifest... (but that's just me)

With friendly regards

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
lol back to the scheduled channel..
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/worth-checking-out.115044/

or read

Here is the deal . Tequipment.net has a giveway going on where you log into a account and write reviews for their products they sell.. Well I did a couple reviews when I purchased my hakko iron from them ..The other day I got a E-mail stating I won a scope or thermal camera .. I chose the scope of course which happed to be a Rigol DS1054z and I received it today in the mail .. So my purpose is not to brag here but to help my fellow AAC members win a well needed scope to continue their education or down the rabbit hole ..I asking to please don't do it just to win and turn around and sell it or waste someone else's chance here.. Also please try to atleast purchase something from them if possible to continue the giveaways for everyone..

Sorry almost forgot google
Tequipment write a review giveway
Thanks
Jay Sr

My scope

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
lol back to the scheduled channel..
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/worth-checking-out.115044/

or read

Here is the deal . Tequipment.net has a giveway going on where you log into a account and write reviews for their products they sell.. Well I did a couple reviews when I purchased my hakko iron from them ..The other day I got a E-mail stating I won a scope or thermal camera .. I chose the scope of course which happed to be a Rigol DS1054z and I received it today in the mail .. So my purpose is not to brag here but to help my fellow AAC members win a well needed scope to continue their education or down the rabbit hole ..I asking to please don't do it just to win and turn around and sell it or waste someone else's chance here.. Also please try to atleast purchase something from them if possible to continue the giveaways for everyone..

Sorry almost forgot google
Tequipment write a review giveway
Thanks
Jay Sr

My scope
So... As I understand it, you wished to limit the viewership such that your message reached only those known to be in genuine in need of such a premium? --- Sounds like a job for the private conversation feature to me!:)

Best regards and congratulations!:cool:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
So... As I understand it, you wished to limit the viewership such that your message reached only those known to be in genuine in need of such a premium? --- Sounds like a job for the private conversation feature to me!:)

Best regards and congratulations!:cool:
I agree but felt it would be a pain to contact so many wonderful people that desire or need it .So I posted in public hoping someone might spend a couples minutes and win the scope or thermal camera ..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Dr.killjoy
The gods have favored you to receive a windfall that many of us lust after. Perhaps it is a sign that the electronics field is a good place for you to be. Electronics has been very kind to me.
Yeah it was kind of weird cause I was set on getting rid of my electronics thing that day and a couple hours later I get a plain jane e-mail.. I called the company cause they are about 2hours from me and they told me it was legit .. So I sent them my info and the next couple days I had my scope .. I have used it a couple times already .. I need to start reading my electronics books again and I am looking into building a fume extractor using one of my delta 12v fans which is a nasty 120mm fan and will post up in the projects page with pics and such..

Thanks
Jay Sr

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I was not discussing the "ownership" of a thread or the hijacking of a thread. I was discussing whether or not it is appropriate for any member to correct another member for simply responding to a thread that has been dormant for some undefined period of time. I have seen members that were criticized for responding to an OP's original question simply because of the origin date of the thread, and I think that is counterproductive to the purpose of this forum.
I may be guilty of that. I don't criticize or correct so much as point out that a thread is old, in case that fact was missed. I've missed the resurrection of an old thread a few times and was frustrated when I realized it. It's most often done by a new, drive-by member. So if I advise another member of an old thread reopening, my motivation is to give them a heads up to not waste time on something long settled.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I don't agree with the ownership concept. But, since it is place, why don't we have all threads lock automatically after 3 or 6 months with the exception of the OP who is allowed to post on THEIR OWN thread at any time (bump it to the top of the list or notify of an update).

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There are threads that have run the course about electronic theory, ideas and problems and there are threads about basic science, activities and events. These types of threads (mainly in OT but also in the science category) should be open for long periods if new posts are exactly on topic. Most of the Necromancy is about some point made in the middle of the thread that found it's way into a search engine database long ago. A person sees the link and joins to post about it, that's a good thing and adds members. Having a lock on new members posting on dead threads would be a good idea if it directed them to create a new thread but a 'Well-Known member' should not be knocked for bringing a thread back to life if that new post is on point.

Last edited: