Please help designing ekg circuit

igloo

Joined Mar 12, 2007
Okay so I built and designed an EKG monitoring device circuit using the attached schematic, now the challenge is to add on to the previous circuit and extend the EKG circuit you designed in Lab 2 to include a small circuit board containing:
a. amplifiers
b. filters
c. an LED that flashes with each heartbeat
d. a heart rate indicator (you pick the time base)
2. Based on the design of your circuit, determine what size Veroboard or similar printed circuit board you will need.
3. Layout and solder your design.
4. Choose an appropriate battery to supply power to the device

The problem I have is how do I take the output from the initial EKG circuit and plug that into an imput for the LED to flash. I was thinking of using a counter but it doesnt seem like that is the right way to go. Do I plug the ouput from the ekg to an input for the 555 chip if a timer is built. Or do I just put the LED on the board and attach it to the ekg output going to the scope.

Pleas Help!

Attachments

kender

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The problem I have is how do I take the output from the initial EKG circuit and plug that into an imput for the LED to flash.
Run the EKG waveform into a comparator. Connect the LED to the output of the comparator. If the pulses are too short for the human eye to see, trigger a 555 wired an a one-shot with comparator output (as you have mentioned already). I would make the timeout period of the 555 around 200ms.

igloo

Joined Mar 12, 2007
Run the EKG waveform into a comparator. Connect the LED to the output of the comparator. If the pulses are too short for the human eye to see, trigger a 555 wired an a one-shot with comparator output (as you have mentioned already). I would make the timeout period of the 555 around 200ms.
What kind of comparator, a voltage comparator, or should I use an op-amp?