1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) for several hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

PLC

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by englewood, Aug 30, 2017.

1. englewood

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Hello All,

Do PLC's use logic gates or Logic Ladders?

I've been asked to explain two different types of stop/start/retain relay control circuits for suitable for either the AC or DC

I'm going to compare an electro-magnetic relay system with an electronic logic or PLC system but I'm not sure if I'm getting a PLC and Electronic logic system mixed up or they are both the same?

Replies would be gratefully appreciated.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Do you mean the software representation or the internal logic?
    The software is based on boolean logic.
    And is a direct representation of hard wired control logic.
    Unclear as to the question.
    Telemecanique wiring diagrams
    Max.

3. englewood

Jul 24, 2015
    Thanks for the reply Max.

I'm unsure of the question also, isn't electronic logic PLC?. If a PLC uses Boolean logic then I presume so.

Isn't ladder logic converted to Boolean logic for a PLC?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Usually there are two methods of programming PLC's, one is the typical schematic representation in order for maintenance personnel that are familiar with hard copy schematics to view and trouble shoot on screen.
    The other is some form of flow chart or boolean expressions directly.
    Some use the term PLC for any microprocessor logic, but it is more familiarly used to describe industrial control systems that bear the title, 'PLC controller' as described above.
    Have you used or come in contact with a Industrial PLC at all?
    Max.

5. englewood

Jul 24, 2015
    I have seen them but I've never used one.

I'm writing an assignment and the question is strange in my opinion its for motor control

"Compare the construction and operation of two different types of stop/start/retain relay control circuits for suitable for either AC or DC

Guidance: For example you may compare an electro-magnetic relay system with an electronic logic or PLC system

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The Telemecanique PDF contains these typical stop/start/retain rungs, they are in schematic format but are typically identical to those portrayed in a PLC. e.g. page 7 etc.
    The differences between AC and DC are in the power supply of course, and the method of coil suppression for the contactor/relay, AC will be a RC snubber and the DC version will be a Reverse biased diode rectifier.
    The only thing now considered wrong is the use of the overload contact shown on the RH side of the coil, it should be on the LH side.
    Max.

7. englewood

Jul 24, 2015
    Thanks Max I understand the difference between AC and DC circuits.

Ill have to read more about PLCs I think. This has got me thinking :).

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  9. englewood

Jul 24, 2015
    Where did the PLC issue/question come in?.

For guidance it says "you may compare an electro-magnetic relay system with an electronic logic or PLC system"

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    So it is basically the comparison of the hard wired logic and the internal programed rung of a PLC, which of course still requires the physical input/output devices, just that the logic is an internal process on the latter.
    Max.

11. englewood

Jul 24, 2015
    Thanks Max.

I've got this now :).