PLC Ladder logic for RSX

lambertjosh32

Joined Mar 29, 2018
Need help designing a PLC for this agitator / reactor tank process below. Need ladder diagram if anyone is able to do so. Thanks!

1. There are two ingredients (A and B) that will be mixed in the reactor tank. Wait for READY signal to be on (when on, it signifies that QA Tank is ready for this batch).

2. To add the fixed amount of ingredient A to the mixing tank, VALVE_A needs to be on. To add the fixed amount of ingredient B to the mixing tank, VALVE_B needs to be on. Both VALVE_A and VALVE_B will be turned on for 10 seconds, then they need to be turned off automatically.

3. When material A is ready to be added, PULSE_A will be on. When material B is ready to be added, PULSE_B will be on. If the PULSE_A for material A (or PULSE_B for material B) is off, the material A cannot be added to the mixing tank even the VALVE_A is turned on.

4. After the materials are fed into the mixing tank, agitate and mix the materials at a high speed (500 rpm) by turning on the motor AGIT_ON_HS for 20 seconds.

5. After that, the agitate motor is then switch for a lower speed (200 rpm) by turning on the motor AGIT_ON_LS for 30 seconds.

6. Once the ingredients A and B are fully mixed at the mixing tank, a HEATER is turned on to raise the temperature. Once the target temperature is reached, a temperature sensor TEMP is used to turn of the heater. At this stage, the temperature of the tank should be kept at 100oC, within +/- 5 oC. A set temperature sensor TEMP is used to detect if the set temperature range is maintained or not. The temperature sensor TEMP is ON if the temperature is maintained within the range of the set temperature 100oC, within +/- 5 oC; otherwise the sensor TEMP is OFF. During this process, if the temperature drops, the heater HEATER should be turned on automatically till the target temperature is reached, while the process continues.

7. After the preset temperature (100oC, within +/- 5 oC) is reached, the ingredient will be kept in the mixing tank for another 40 seconds for agitate.

8. After the agitation and heating, the ingredient is then dumped into the QA Tank by turning on VALVE_OUT for 15 seconds. Once the dump process is completed, a sensor PULSE_OUT will become on.

9. Once all the ingredient has been fully dumped into the QA Tank, the QA Tank will be shipped out by executing a process QA_OUT. The QA_OUT process takes 20 seconds to complete the process.

10. Once the new QA Tank is in position again, the READY signal will be on and the system is ready for next cycle.

11. For every twelve completed finish product QA Tanks shipped out, a quality control sampling process QC_SAMPLE is automatically activated for 20 seconds.

12. For safety measurement, an emergency stop EMERGENCY is added in the system in case of safety emergency.

13. A pilot green light GL1 is turned ON when the QA Tank is in position and ready for the cycle to start.

14. A pilot yellow light YL2 is turned ON to indicate the mixed motor either AGIT_ON_HS or AGIT_ON_LS is on.

15. A pilot red light RL3 is turned ON to indicate the HEATER is turned ON.

16. A pilot blue light BL4 is turned ON when the quality control sampling process QC_SAMPLE is ben activated.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We don't have a habit of doing students work for them. You need to show some industry and effort, then we can guide your efforts towards a successful conclusion

lambertjosh32

Joined Mar 29, 2018
I have paper solutions of what I believe is correct but not familiar with the RSX programming and how to distinguish the inputs and outputs.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What PLC? Do you have any expertise yourself for it?
I have some application examples, one is such as a brewery/batching system for e.g.
I mainly use the Mitsubishi line of PLC's and use the book by John Ridley for a guide, 'Mitsubishi FX PLC Programmable Logic Controllers'
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have paper solutions of what I believe is correct but not familiar with the RSX programming and how to distinguish the inputs and outputs.
You need to obtain the RSlogix reference manual, if not already have it.
Some times a local AB office will furnish it.
For this the input is identified by I:xx and the Output by O:xx
Max.

lambertjosh32

Joined Mar 29, 2018
If you can draw up a ladder diagram for me to compare to that would be nice as well, I can upload what I have so far. I am not very savvy with this material as I am a chemical engineer student just trying to expand my knowledge in another field

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
IMO the consignment describes someone who has learned the basics, as the assignment states:

"In this lab assignment, you need to apply ALL the techniques and methods you have learned so far about Programmable Logic Control to design the control system of an industrial control system (as described)."

Drawing up a detailed ladder of this order could require at least a couple of hours work to get it right. and this is someone who has prior experience.
Normally this forum is not to provide all the answers but help with what you have come up with so far.
Post it and someone may critique it.
Max.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks Bertus, I sense your sarcasm and it's quite unhelpful. The title of this forum is "homework help", if you're not here to do so, please go be a jerk somewhere else.
You should be careful about dissing a moderator. The help you get may not be what you want or expect, but it is what it is. You can take it or leave it as the mood moves you. The one thing that will motivate people to help you is to show what you have done so far. That one thing will reap large rewards. You can, of course, continue to complain about what you think you deserve and you will get more of the same.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Thanks Bertus, I sense your sarcasm and it's quite unhelpful. The title of this forum is "homework help", if you're not here to do so, please go be a jerk somewhere else.
If you had been around longer, you would know that Bertus is incapable of sarcasm. You are off base.

There are a few different "templates" for how these threads play out, and yours is looking like the one where the poster walks away empty handed because he decided it was a good idea to insult people who were trying to help. My advice would be to apologize and change your tone if you want help.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I suspect the OP has bailed?o_O
For what he is doing, his biggest asset, if he does not already have it, is a copy of SLC500 and MicroLogix 1000 Instruction set Reference Manual.
It includes sample examples.
If an AB customer, or teaching institution, you can often get a free issue from a local AB office or electrical supplier of AB .
Max.