Placing a potentiometer after an amp

adhith

Joined May 29, 2017
hello friends..
Recently I got a pair tweeters which has an inbuilt crossover inside its casing and it works fine. I thought of wiring it parallel to my bookshelf speakers which I made with LA4440 amplifier IC. I would like to add a separate tone controller for the tweeters with a 47k potentiometer. So for that I'm thinking of placing the pot between the output of the amp and the tweeters. I haven't seen placing a pot after an amp, So will this cause any trouble like overheating of the pot or amp?? (the LA4440 is of 6 watts per channel). I would also like to know that does a passive crossover system uses the tone controls after the amp??

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can use a pot, but its resistance would need to be comparable to the tweeter impedance.
Better to use a L-pad attenuator designed for that purpose, such as this, as they keep the impedance relatively constant.

Last edited:

adhith

Joined May 29, 2017
You can use a pot, but its resistance would need to be comparable to the tweeter impedance.
Better to use a L-pad attenuator designed for that purpose, such as this, as they keep the impedance relatively constant.
Thank you very much Crutschow for you help, your suggestion was very helpful & looking forward to buy an appropriate L pad attenuator.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A 47kΩ would be useless in this situation.
Typically, speakers are 8Ω. Your pot has to be of that order of magnitude to be effective.
Make sure the wattage rating of the pot can handle the output power.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
hello friends..
Recently I got a pair tweeters which has an inbuilt crossover inside its casing and it works fine. I thought of wiring it parallel to my bookshelf speakers which I made with LA4440 amplifier IC. I would like to add a separate tone controller for the tweeters with a 47k potentiometer. So for that I'm thinking of placing the pot between the output of the amp and the tweeters. I haven't seen placing a pot after an amp, So will this cause any trouble like overheating of the pot or amp?? (the LA4440 is of 6 watts per channel). I would also like to know that does a passive crossover system uses the tone controls after the amp??
You sometimes find this in commercial speakers - but the pot is a chunky WW job of just a few Ohms.

You can probably get suitable pots in car audio shops - I think they're for adjusting level on shelf speakers.

adhith

Joined May 29, 2017
A 47kΩ would be useless in this situation.
Typically, speakers are 8Ω. Your pot has to be of that order of magnitude to be effective.
Make sure the wattage rating of the pot can handle the output power.
Thank you MrChips for you valuable suggestion.

adhith

Joined May 29, 2017
You sometimes find this in commercial speakers - but the pot is a chunky WW job of just a few Ohms.

You can probably get suitable pots in car audio shops - I think they're for adjusting level on shelf speakers.
Thank you ian field for your suggestion, let me go through an audio shop & see what I could get.