Pittsburgh Steelers

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The most amazing thing is how he gets the rain to fall only on his opponents!

(note: I respect the Pittsburg Steelers. My comments aren't meant as a slight to the Steel Curtain in any way :) )

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The most amazing thing is how he gets the rain to fall only on his opponents!

(note: I respect the Pittsburg Steelers. My comments aren't meant as a slight to the Steel Curtain in any way :) )
I'm not such a radical fan. Also, that photo was the coach of the Patriots - you are allowed to show hate for him, everyone else is doing it this month.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a brother in law who is a Steelers fan (yeah... and he's barely interested in soccer... imagine that :rolleyes:)
Anyway, why is it that all of the Steeleers I've known are religiously anti- Dallas Cowboys? I'm not joking, it's true!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I have a brother in law who is a Steelers fan (yeah... and he's barely interested in soccer... imagine that :rolleyes:)
Anyway, why is it that all of the Steeleers I've known are religiously anti- Dallas Cowboys? I'm not joking, it's true!
The Cowboys have the largest fan base in the country. Outside that base, everyone else hates them. Well, not EVERYONE, but many.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The NFL has a salary cap.

The Cowboys national fan base prompted NFL Films when doing the highlight reels of the 1978 season, noticed that there were a lot of Cowboy fans in the stadiums when the Cowboys were on the road. They coined the nickname "America's Team" ... and it stuck.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm also told they have the largest budget... so they're seen as the NFL's rich kids... is that true?
I'mnot privy to team budgets. Dallas is viewed by most to be a rich city (partly because of the misconception created by the TV show "Dallas", in America, TV is everything, and partly fromthe age old notion that all Texans are rich, Believe me, they are not) The team owner is a famously rich person, who bought the team years ago using pocket change. Ok, not really, but he is very wealthy. The league has instuted programs to make the game less subject to team budgets, like salary caps (mentioned already), draft processes and revenu sharing, which the individual owners have found ways to get around. It was believed that only rich, big market teams can ever win again until that notion was shattered by the Green Bay Packers a couple years ago.

When I say the Cowboys have the largest fan base, it's a little more scientific than what NFL reels noticed by viewing films. Texas is a large and populous state, and the fan base extends through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and well... just about any of the many states that border Texas. This has been confirmed by surveys.

Denver's fan base actually covers more geography, but it is by and large less densly populated.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'mnot privy to team budgets. Dallas is viewed by most to be a rich city (partly because of the misconception created by the TV show "Dallas", in America, TV is everything, and partly fromthe age old notion that all Texans are rich, Believe me, they are not) The team owner is a famously rich person, who bought the team years ago using pocket change. Ok, not really, but he is very wealthy. The league has instuted programs to make the game less subject to team budgets, like salary caps (mentioned already), draft processes and revenu sharing, which the individual owners have found ways to get around. It was believed that only rich, big market teams can ever win again until that notion was shattered by the Green Bay Packers a couple years ago.

When I say the Cowboys have the largest fan base, it's a little more scientific than what NFL reels noticed by viewing films. Texas is a large and populous state, and the fan base extends through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and well... just about any of the many states that border Texas. This has been confirmed by surveys.

Denver's fan base actually covers more geography, but it is by and large less densly populated.
Well, maybe you'll find it funny to know that down here American Football has been growing in popularity quite fast lately. You can see lots of people wearing lots of different hats and t-shirts with logos of their favorite teams. And that's because we don't have a single team of our own. So at the same party in the same house you'll find friends and family members wearing Steelers', and Chief's, and Cowboy's gear, for instance.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Bill Belichick ... I remember him as Bill Parcell's defensive coordinator with the NY Giants in the 80s. He knows what it takes to grab the big ring.