PIR light activated by Radio transmission

Louie Z

Joined Oct 8, 2017
ok... I will try to make this short. I have a capstone model NFS60 LED motion sensor light. One evening I was about 1000 feet from the house and called the wife on my FSR radio. I noticed the light at the house came on.... hmm that’s strange.... I key the Mic again... on came the light. I have 3 of these lights and this one light is the only one that strangely responds to radio transmission..... I figured I would pass it along to see if there is someone with more grey matter than me to possibly explain....

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
The one light's circuitry is obviously susceptible to RF interference. Are all three lights the same brand, age and model?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
ok... I will try to make this short. I have a capstone model NFS60 LED motion sensor light. One evening I was about 1000 feet from the house and called the wife on my FSR radio. I noticed the light at the house came on.... hmm that’s strange.... I key the Mic again... on came the light. I have 3 of these lights and this one light is the only one that strangely responds to radio transmission..... I figured I would pass it along to see if there is someone with more grey matter than me to possibly explain....
If the PIR is in a plastic housing, there's no shielding unless the manufacturer lined it with foil - that can be done later with cosmetic trim self adhesive aluminium foil.

Dodgy soldering shouldn't be overlooked - a loose filter capacitor might be letting stray RF get where it shouldn't.

It could be as simple as the lay of the wiring making that unit more vulnerable. Its possible to get ferrite suppressors that fit on cables/wiring, and clamp on split ferrites for cables you can't lift one end.

Louie Z

Joined Oct 8, 2017
wow.. I completely missed these reply's... Thanks

The funny thing about this light is I want them all to do it. I have motion sensors built from arduino's on my property that send alerts with a HC-12 transmitter and the receiver in the house processes the alerts and then broadcasts out to our 2-way radios. When it does this transmission, 2 of the lights come on... but they are within 30 feet of the radio transmitter.
I thought what a cool idea. we have 25 acres and predators are always stalking our chickens. I can prolly build some lights into the sensors... but that would shorten the battery life... these lights with this "defect" would be perfect if I could enhance the "defect".... :)