Ping Moderator: What's the accepted protocol for editing a post?

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Say I've posted a message with an attached drawing, and some time after I post it I realize I've made a few errors in both the text and the attached drawing.

So far, what I do when that happens is fourfold in that I edit the original post by deleting the erroneous text and inserting the corrections, and that I delete the old drawing and replace it with the new one.

Is that OK or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,
EMF

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It's personal preference.

You can edit the post and make it seem as if nothing was changed (if changes are made before the code decides to mark it as edited).

You can strike through the corrected text.

You can make a notation that the post was edited and, optional, specify what was edited.

You can delete the post and post again.

Sometimes I leave minor issues in a post so it won't get marked edited and require rereading; and only correct if someone points it out and I want to preempt more comments.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
It's personal preference.

You can edit the post and make it seem as if nothing was changed (if changes are made before the code decides to mark it as edited).

You can strike through the corrected text.

You can make a notation that the post was edited and, optional, specify what was edited.
You can delete the post and post again.
Sometimes I leave minor issues in a post so it won't get marked edited and require rereading; and only correct if someone points it out and I want to preempt more comments.
Thanks,
EMF

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It really doesn't matter how you do it. Nobody can see you editing. They only see the finished product.
Personally, I do it the same way you do. Edit, more, delete, drag&drop, that kind of stuff.
Any way to navigate that works.:p

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is that OK or is there a better way to do it?
I usually go ahead and make any changes I want unless the mistakes were important enough to draw comments. In that case I may annotate the original to highlight that changes were made or simply address them in a later post. It's not fair to make the first guy to comment look like a boob, by going back and rewriting history so that his comments make no sense.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
wayneh gets it. Don't change your post once it has been commented upon, unless you document the changes you make.

Usually a new post is easier. I just mention the new post in the old post.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Senior members do have an unlimited time to edit posts.
As long as there are no replies, I also edit posts when needed.
The moderators can see the history of a post, so they can see the alterations on a post.
They also have teh power to revert to a previous edit if needed.
(this is sometimes done in homework help, when the TS deletes the question, rendering the thread useless).

Bertus

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think if it is really old you should note what you changed just in case the person you where replying too is still interested. That way they will know what is up.

Otherwise it should be up to you.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A;pt of times I'lledit posts then acknowledge it in following post as long as you aren't doing it maliciously taint a big deal. I try to be the first to admit to brain farts.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I usually go ahead and make any changes I want unless the mistakes were important enough to draw comments. In that case I may annotate the original to highlight that changes were made or simply address them in a later post. It's not fair to make the first guy to comment look like a boob, by going back and rewriting history so that his comments make no sense.
Perfect! Thanks.