Picking the right temp sensor

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
I've been looking around for temperature sensors for a little while now and I don't know which is right for my use.
What I need them for is obviously measuring temperature but I was thinking about getting some temperature and placing one on a battery, (this is an RC car) one on the control board heatsink and one on the motor. I would have these measure the temperature and display it on an LCD display, but as I said I don't know what sensor will work.

I would prefer to have these sensors quite small.

Thanks,
Bod

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
@ericgibbs Thanks for the reply - I was a total idiot and wasn't concentrating when writing that post, The batteries are 7.2VDC @ 1100aH. If there is a temp sensor that will work at that voltage I will be very happy.

My bad,
Bod.

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
Thanks for the replies. Will definitely order some LM35's and use them

EDIT: I just realised that they need an Arduino and I don't have the power or space to use an Arduino on my RC car. Is there any alternatives?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Here is a simple temperature monitoring circuit putting leds on/off, simply omit the op amp and resistors,,and feed the lm35 into your lcd microcontroller for 10mV /C that's 25C = 250mV etc...

temperature sensor.gif

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
@Dodgydave - :D Thanks, just what I was looking for!
EDIT: Sorry for so many edits, could you make a quick sketch without the op amps and resistors - I can't quite get it straight in my head.

Thanks.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you're looking for a cheap sensor with a digital output that will save you the effort of doing the analog to digital conversion yourself, I suggest you take a look at the DS1822+. I've been using them quite successfully for the last few years. This sensor is capable of measurements in the range of -55 to 125 °C.
If you want me to, I could share with you the assembly code used to read its output.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you're looking for a cheap sensor with a digital output that will save you the effort of doing the analog to digital conversion yourself, I suggest you take a look at the DS1822+. I've been using them quite successfully for the last few years. This sensor is capable of measurements in the range of -55 to 125 °C.
If you want me to, I could share with you the assembly code used to read its output.
Any chance of a copy? Is it for a Picmicro?
Max.

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
Sure thing. But sorry, it's written in assembly for an AT89LP4052. But here's the source code, its compiled file, and a simple VB.NET 2013 program to read its output. I've also included an image of the circuit's layout to make it easier to understand.
Thanks @cmartinez. I will try these out as I would prefer not to use an Arduino!

EDIT: Where is the DS1822+ on the schematic?