PIC18f4550 Substitute...

AnkD

Joined Nov 1, 2016
Hi,

I have been using PIC18f4550 from a long time and would like to update on it. As my functionality remains the same I am looking for a substitute for it that would have some advanced features over it. I am open to using IC's from all the manufacturers. Its a bit urgent and help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and looking to hear on this soon.

Regards,
ANk

AnkD

Joined Nov 1, 2016
The 18F45K50 is suggest over this now, what features are you looking for?
Max.
Thanks Max for your prompt reply. I am only looking to optimize on what I am getting and nothing else to be specific. Can you suggest any other products from Texas Instruments or Atmel which supports the functionality in a similar manner. I don't need the IC to perform any thing at exceptional speed. I only need the functionality work work correctly. No heavy load is connected. Would be happy to provide any other information if required.

Thanks,
ANk

AnkD

Joined Nov 1, 2016
Without knowing what you are "getting", and how it is suboptimal, how are we to help?
Hi Joey,

I should be able to power 60 LED's on a strip. I should be able to drive 60+ switches whose output is provided on the board where this IC is connected from a Matrix lookup table. I will be able to provide you more details if you have any specific question.

-ANk

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Hi Joey,
I should be able to power 60 LED's on a strip. I should be able to drive 60+ switches whose output is provided on the board where this IC is connected from a Matrix lookup table. I will be able to provide you more details if you have any specific question.
Like WS2812? Do you use USB in your chip?

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
So, you use USB for simple communications, have 8x8 input matrix and drive 60 WS2812 LEDs. PIC18F4550 doesn't feel undersized for this.

AnkD

Joined Nov 1, 2016
So, you use USB for simple communications, have 8x8 input matrix and drive 60 WS2812 LEDs. PIC18F4550 doesn't feel undersized for this.
No it works perfectly fine. But only for upgrading I am looking to change the controller.

AnkD

Joined Nov 1, 2016
Then you can get any MCU. Don't see any reason why you should prefer one or the other. PIC32MZ is the biggest PIC Microchip ever made.
The reason why I am looking looking for TI and Atmel is because we want to try the system on another MCU than of Microchip.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
But which one? Do you know of controllers similar to PIC18F4550.
No, but my comment was mainly to the point that Microchip owns Atmel so you won't really be changing from Microchip. My real question would be why spend the time and effort to completely change architectures on a product that only needs upgrading because its been working great on the current chip for a long time.