Pic shortages 16f1779

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

This has probably been discussed, but, I have designed a product based around a pic16f1779 in a surface mount package.
I've not designed and sold anything before so it's taken along time to get the board right, testing etc.

I thought I ought to order a pile of pics as I have planned to build/get quite a few boards built, but can't find any available until June next year!!

A lot of other pics are unavailable on rs UK, is it the same with other manufacturers?

The main features I'm using are the op amps, comparators,uart and pwm, I used that part as it had all that onboard.

Are there any other manufacturers with onboard opamps etc, space is at a premium on my board so I don't really want to use sperate op amps.

I don't really want to learn to program a different manufacturers product but if availability is better.......

Cheers Geoff

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
RS components has 2. lol PIC16F1779-I/P
MicroChip said some versions of the 1179 will be available in two months. Small quantities.

Life is hard. I order the parts, in advance, while I am drawing the schematic. I am sitting on a large inventory. Business school said to order "just in time". I am working because I have parts.

It is good to make a project based on a certain IC. efficient! But when there are no parts you are in trouble.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
I've got more than rs then
A previous version used 16f1827 which is available, also rn4678 module which seems to be getting shortish
I'm tempted to buy 100 or so of each but I guess everyone else is doing the same and that's some of the problem!!

I used the pic with analogue stuff to avoid using another dedicated ic as it was end of life

Is this pretty general with ic's or just microchip? I have had my head in the sand for quite some time with other stuff

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
All parts are hard to get. Even screws and nails.
I get wire from Ukraine. no I got wire but no more. I had a good connection to Russia. My China connections are good. At least that is working.

PSoC® Programmable System-on-Chip™ They have analog functions that are much like a digital FPGA but in analog.
By the time you jump ship (chip), MicroChip might be back to production.
These shortages will be with us for a long time.

RonS.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The chip shortage on popular controller parts is universal. If you can buy cheap, in large quantities, then nobody uses it.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...hip-technology-mchp-q4-2022-earnings-call-tr/
Business conditions continue to be exceptionally strong through the quarter. Our preferred supply program, our PSP backlog, continued to grow and remained well over 50% of our aggregate backlog and 100% of our backlog in the most constrained capacity product areas. Demand continued to be insatiable, despite the significant capacity increases, we have implemented so far. As a result, our unsupported backlog, which represents customer backlog -- backlog that customers want to ship to them in the March quarter, but which we could not deliver in the March quarter, climbed substantially again as we exited the March quarter with our highest unsupported backlog ever.

We continue to experience constraints in all our internal and external factories and their related manufacturing supply chains. We are ramping our internal factories as fast as reasonably possible. And we are working closely with our supply chain partners to secure additional capacity wherever possible. Our supply chain partners as well as some of our customers were adversely impacted by the lockdowns in China during March, which continued into April and May.

Our operations team worked to redirect our manufacturing activities and sourcing wherever possible to other locations that are not locked down. Looking at the magnitude of the demand-supply inbound, the size of our noncancelable backlog, the rate at which new backlog continues to come in, and the rate at which we're able to bring on new capacity, we expect that we will remain supply constrained throughout 2022 and into 2023. Our growth is predominantly limited by how quickly we can bring on additional capacity to support demand. To reiterate what we first shared with you in March this year, we expect our five-year compounded annual growth rate, using fiscal year 2021 as a baseline, to be 10% to 15%.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
All parts are hard to get. Even screws and nails.
I get wire from Ukraine. no I got wire but no more. I had a good connection to Russia. My China connections are good. At least that is working.

PSoC® Programmable System-on-Chip™ They have analog functions that are much like a digital FPGA but in analog.
By the time you jump ship (chip), MicroChip might be back to production.
These shortages will be with us for a long time.

RonS.
That's the problem, it takes me ages do anything and as you say by the time I've redesigned it what I've used will be short!
I was hoping I could find a part MCP that would drop in, but everything they make seems short.
Can get them from China on eBay for £20 but would be nervous it's just plastic.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Yes, I use Octopart too. It probably isn't 100% accurate, but if there are shortages, it shows who has stock if there's any to be found, and it also lets you see if your first-choice vendor is selling stuff for high or low prices versus the competition. It can be surprising to see how much prices may differ for the same item.

If you had your heart set on some processor with a particular set of features, you could redesign your system to duplicate the functions with additional parts and a smaller processor. Not as easy, maybe, but ultimately it should work. Use discrete op amps, for instance. And maybe latches and mutiplexers to simulate extra digital pins.

But I'm afraid that with the present shortage of processors, you might as well buy whatever you can find and then design a product to fit it!

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Thanks, I wasn't aware of octopart, most things I checked seemed to be short, 16f1827, 16f819, mcp6004 op amps, guess need design a board that can take a few variations and go from there, hardly ideal but is possible.

Very strange at the moment, it seems to be the same in most sectors though

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've been having a bit of trouble finding PIC16LF1825 chips everywhere. And the people that claim to have it are selling it at twice the price, for starters, and others even at 5X the price. I'm under the impression that during this chip shortage some companies have been fattening their inventories so that they may later speculate with the prices.

I was a millisecond away from clicking "buy" and acquiring 400 parts at 1.8x the price from a chinese vendor when I noticed in Digikey that they had a factory lead time of 5 weeks. So I've bought those parts from them already. I just hope that those 5 weeks are realistic and don't turn into a longer wait time.

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
We have major shortages here at work. For over a year Digikey claims lead time is 32 weeks on a particular chip. A long time ago I bought some PIC's from Ali Express. They were clearly counterfeit so even though they worked I stayed away from them. But now I need another PIC part, not available anywhere, ordered 100 from Ali, received them, look exactly like originals, tested good and just ordered 500 more. We have to go this route or wait many months for Microchip stock.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The time spent in conversations about, sorry to tell, is enough for more stocks to vaporize.
I remember back in the 80's in Mexico a local joke that we had: When in a restaurant, make sure your place your order immediately without looking at the menu or otherwise the prices are going to change when you finish your meal!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I remember back in the 80's in Mexico a local joke that we had: When in a restaurant, make sure your place your order immediately without looking at the menu or otherwise the prices are going to change when you finish your meal!
That kind of race is now going on down here.

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Just been browsing octopart, again!
Some of the pic I'm after are available from a few firms I haven't heard that seem to be in China? I've requested a quote from Heisener electronics? Has anyone heard of or dealt with them?
Will see what happens........

ag-123

Joined Apr 28, 2017
I'm wondering if at that price, you could perhaps get FPGAs and soft program them into an mcu lol.
oh and that's provided FPGAs are after all still available lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nsaspook Off-Topic 398
J General Electronics Chat 4
M Off-Topic 36