PIC compiler for hobbyist

a4wanman

Joined Oct 24, 2010
Curious what other hobbyists are using for a PIC compiler: Microchip XC, MikroE's microC, or some other compiler. Just getting started with PICs and having trouble deciding which IDE / compiler I want to start with. More interested in C rather than assembly.

Used to program 8051's using assembly and C 25 years ago and wanting to get back starting on some basic projects.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
+1
MikroC is a good compiler for learning and has extensive libraries that get you going quickly, especially if you use one of their EasyPIC boards. The 'free' version is very limited in code size. Some of their 'C' language implementation limits show up when you try to do more complex stuff. Their simulator is limited.

XC8 is maybe not as cozy but is a better implemen1tation on the C level. The free version is not code size limited, it just doesn't optimize as much. The simulator is excellent and it naturally works with the inexpensive Microchip debuggers right out of the box. It is hard to beat MPLAB-X, XC8 and a 'Curiosity ' board. About $10 total cost.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
JohnlnTX you are correct I do use Microchip compilers for 30 years and still happy.
Yes some releases are better than others. But never big problems encountered.
I Try to avoid the std libs and wrote my own allowing to know the exact working of that part.
Personally: I do not like free stuff it's always a gamble.

Picbuster