Pic 18f45k20

peter_morley

Joined Mar 12, 2011
I just got my PICkit 3 with a PIC 18F45K20 and I am very excited to start.:D

My problem is I haven't been able to configure my __CONFIG word. Before when I used a PIC12 I didn't really have to worry much about what the __CONFIG word said because I had sample code. Basically I am trying to use the PIC as a fast oscillator that sends data out one of the ports. So I would prefer to use the PLL enabled oscillator setting that allows internal oscillations of up to 64 MHz. I am not interested in BOREN,Watchdog timer or the other config options that are used because I don't need them for my application. The line where I have

Rich (BB code):
 list      p=18f45k20
is highlighted red except for 20 so maybe there is also a problem there. Here is the code that won't compile...

Rich (BB code):
list      p=18f45k20         ; list directive to define processor
#include <p18f45k20.inc>        ; processor specific variable definitions

__CONFIG _FOSC_HSPLL_1H

;******************** INITIALIZATION PROTOCOL **************************

org     0x000				; BIG BANG
	goto	Initialize			; Initialization call

;Interrupt Vector	
	org 	0x004
	retfie

org		0x005				; Start of Programm Memory Vector

Initialize

end

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Start with this and see how you get on.
From the template:

Rich (BB code):
;****************************************************************************** 
;                                                                             * 
;   This file is a basic code template for code generation on the             * 
;   PIC18F45K20. This file contains the basic code building blocks to build   * 
;   upon.                                                                     * 
;   Refer to the MPASM User's Guide for additional information on features    * 
;   of the assembler.                                                         * 
;   Refer to the respective data sheet for additional information on the      * 
;   instruction set.                                                          * 
;    Filename:         xxx.asm                                                * 
;    Date:                                                                    * 
;    File Version:                                                            * 
;    Author:                                                                  * 
;    Company:                                                                 * 
;    Files Required: P18F45K20.INC                                            * 
;    Notes:                                                                   * 
;    Revision History:                                                        * 

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
; PROCESSOR DECLARATION 

LIST      P=PIC18F45K20          ; list directive to define processor 
     #INCLUDE <P18F45K20.INC>         ; processor specific variable definitions 

; 
; CONFIGURATION WORD SETUP 
; 
; The 'CONFIG' directive is used to embed the configuration word within the  
; .asm file. The lables following the directive are located in the respective  
; .inc file.  See the data sheet for additional information on configuration  
; word settings. 
; 

CONFIG FOSC = INTIO7, FCMEN = OFF, IESO = OFF, PWRT = OFF, BOREN = OFF 
     CONFIG BORV = 18, WDTEN = OFF, WDTPS = 1, MCLRE = ON, HFOFST = ON 
     CONFIG LPT1OSC = OFF, PBADEN = OFF, CCP2MX = PORTC, STVREN = OFF 
     CONFIG LVP = OFF,  XINST = OFF, CP0 = OFF, CP1 = OFF, CP2 = OFF 
     CONFIG CP3 = OFF, CPB = OFF, CPD = OFF, WRT0 = OFF, WRT1 = OFF 
     CONFIG WRT2 = OFF, WRT3 = OFF, WRTB = OFF, WRTC = OFF, WRTD = OFF 
     CONFIG EBTR0 = OFF, EBTR1 = OFF, EBTR2 = OFF, EBTR3 = OFF 
     CONFIG EBTRB = OFF 

; 
; VARIABLE DEFINITIONS 
; 

CBLOCK 0x60 ; Sample GPR variable register allocations 
        MYVAR1  ; user variable at address 0x60 
        MYVAR2  ; user variable at address 0x61 
        MYVAR3  ; user variable at address 0x62 
    ENDC 

W_TEMP         EQU        0x000  ; w register for context saving (ACCESS) 
STATUS_TEMP    EQU        0x001  ; status used for context saving  
BSR_TEMP       EQU        0x002  ; bank select used for ISR context saving 

; EEPROM INITIALIZATION 
; 
; The 18F45K20 has non-volatile EEPROM starting at 0xF00000 
;  

DATAEE    ORG  0xF00000 ; Starting address for EEPROM for 18F45K20 

DE    "MCHP"        ; Place 'M' 'C' 'H' 'P' at address 0,1,2,3 

; RESET VECTOR 

RES_VECT  ORG     0x0000            ; processor reset vector 
          GOTO    START             ; go to beginning of program 

; HIGH PRIORITY INTERRUPT VECTOR 

ISRH      ORG     0x0008 

; Run the High Priority Interrupt Service Routine 
          GOTO    HIGH_ISR              

; LOW PRIORITY INTERRUPT VECTOR 

ISRL      ORG     0x0018 

GOTO    LOW_ISR              

; HIGH PRIORITY INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE 

HIGH_ISR   

; Insert High Priority ISR Here 

RETFIE  FAST 

; LOW PRIORITY INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE 

LOW_ISR 
          ; Context Saving for Low ISR 
          MOVWF   W_TEMP              ; save W register 
          MOVFF   STATUS, STATUS_TEMP ; save status register 
          MOVFF   BSR, BSR_TEMP       ; save bankselect register 

; Insert Low Priority ISR Here 

MOVFF   BSR_TEMP, BSR       ; restore bankselect register 
          MOVF    W_TEMP, W           ; restore W register 
          MOVFF   STATUS_TEMP, STATUS ; restore status register 
          RETFIE 

; MAIN PROGRAM 

START 

; Insert User Program Here 

GOTO $                      ; loop program counter 

END

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Where did you get that information from? Was it on the datasheet?
The include file for your chip. Is a good start for you as PIC programmer. If you work with MPLAB assembler. You may find the files C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPASM Suite. The config settings will be near the end always. This may also help http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2123&param=en024286
I will also recommend that at least read this document. http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41370C.pdf even if you do plan to do any work in C. As it will provide many hints and tips for a person new to PIC18F series and MPLAB.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
They are in a folder like this if you have MPLAB installed.
It would be nice if it was mentioned more prominently in the help files and datasheets because they are very useful.
c:/Program Files/Microchip/MPASM Suite/Template/Code

peter_morley

Joined Mar 12, 2011
I am having trouble setting up a simple oscillator. I set my config fosc to be HSPLL and I set my osccon to make my internal clock 64MHz. I just compliment PORTA and I should be getting oscillations on most of the ports except 4 and 8 I believe. I am not getting any oscillations can you see what is wrong. I also cannot set my FSR0H register to a number but I have no trouble setting my FSR0L register. This is my first attempt at writing for a PIC18. Here is the code.

Rich (BB code):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
; PROCESSOR DECLARATION 

LIST      P=PIC18F45K20          ; list directive to define processor 
     #INCLUDE <P18F45K20.INC>         ; processor specific variable definitions 

; 
; CONFIGURATION WORD SETUP 
; 
; The 'CONFIG' directive is used to embed the configuration word within the  
; .asm file. The lables following the directive are located in the respective  
; .inc file.  See the data sheet for additional information on configuration  
; word settings. 
; 

CONFIG FOSC = HSPLL, FCMEN = OFF, IESO = OFF, PWRT = OFF, BOREN = OFF 
     CONFIG BORV = 18, WDTEN = OFF, WDTPS = 1, MCLRE = ON, HFOFST = ON 
     CONFIG LPT1OSC = OFF, PBADEN = OFF, CCP2MX = PORTC, STVREN = OFF 
     CONFIG LVP = OFF,  XINST = OFF, CP0 = OFF, CP1 = OFF, CP2 = OFF 
     CONFIG CP3 = OFF, CPB = OFF, CPD = OFF, WRT0 = OFF, WRT1 = OFF 
     CONFIG WRT2 = OFF, WRT3 = OFF, WRTB = OFF, WRTC = OFF, WRTD = OFF 
     CONFIG EBTR0 = OFF, EBTR1 = OFF, EBTR2 = OFF, EBTR3 = OFF 
     CONFIG EBTRB = OFF 

; 
; VARIABLE DEFINITIONS 
; 
    CBLOCK 0x000 ; Sample GPR variable register allocations 
 		PLCounter
		ExtraCounter
    ENDC 

W_TEMP         EQU        0x000  ; w register for context saving (ACCESS) 
STATUS_TEMP    EQU        0x001  ; status used for context saving  
BSR_TEMP       EQU        0x002  ; bank select used for ISR context saving 

; EEPROM INITIALIZATION 
; 
; The 18F45K20 has non-volatile EEPROM starting at 0xF00000 
;  

DATAEE    ORG  0xF00000 ; Starting address for EEPROM for 18F45K20 

DE    "MCHP"        ; Place 'M' 'C' 'H' 'P' at address 0,1,2,3 

; RESET VECTOR 

RES_VECT  ORG     0x0000            ; processor reset vector 
          GOTO    START             ; go to beginning of program 

; HIGH PRIORITY INTERRUPT VECTOR 

ISRH      ORG     0x0008 

GOTO    HIGH_ISR              

; LOW PRIORITY INTERRUPT VECTOR 

ISRL      ORG     0x0018 

GOTO    LOW_ISR              

; HIGH PRIORITY INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE 

HIGH_ISR   

; Insert High Priority ISR Here 

RETFIE  FAST 

; LOW PRIORITY INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE 

LOW_ISR 
          MOVWF   W_TEMP              ; save W register 
          MOVFF   STATUS, STATUS_TEMP ; save status register 
          MOVFF   BSR, BSR_TEMP       ; save bankselect register 

; Insert Low Priority ISR Here 

MOVFF   BSR_TEMP, BSR       ; restore bankselect register 
          MOVF    W_TEMP, W           ; restore W register 
          MOVFF   STATUS_TEMP, STATUS ; restore status register 
          RETFIE 

; MAIN PROGRAM 

START 
		movlw	0x03
		movwf	PLCounter

movlw	0x06
		movwf	ExtraCounter

MOVLB	B'00001111'
		CLRF 	PORTA 
		MOVLW 	0xE0 					; Configure I/O
		MOVWF 	ANSEL 					; for digital inputs
		MOVLW 	0xC0 					; Value used to
		MOVWF 	TRISA 					; Set RA<5:0> as outputs

bsf		OSCCON,0