Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full
Medical or surgical masks

Ten studies took place in the community, and two studies in healthcare workers. Compared with wearing no mask in the community studies only, wearing a mask may make little to no difference in how many people caught a flu‐like illness/COVID‐like illness (9 studies; 276,917 people); and probably makes little or no difference in how many people have flu/COVID confirmed by a laboratory test (6 studies; 13,919 people). Unwanted effects were rarely reported; discomfort was mentioned.

N95/P2 respirators

Four studies were in healthcare workers, and one small study was in the community. Compared with wearing medical or surgical masks, wearing N95/P2 respirators probably makes little to no difference in how many people have confirmed flu (5 studies; 8407 people); and may make little to no difference in how many people catch a flu‐like illness (5 studies; 8407 people), or respiratory illness (3 studies; 7799 people). Unwanted effects were not well‐reported; discomfort was mentioned.

Hand hygiene

Following a hand hygiene programme may reduce the number of people who catch a respiratory or flu‐like illness, or have confirmed flu, compared with people not following such a programme (19 studies; 71,210 people), although this effect was not confirmed as statistically significant reduction when ILI and laboratory‐confirmed ILI were analysed separately. Few studies measured unwanted effects; skin irritation in people using hand sanitiser was mentioned.
Several specific research gaps deserve expedited attention and may be highlighted within the context of the COVID‐19 pandemic. The use of face masks in the community setting represents one of the most pressing needs to address, given the polarised opinions around the world, and the increasing concerns over widespread microplastic pollution from the discarding of masks (Shen 2021). Both broad‐based ecological studies, adjusting for confounding and high quality RCTs, may be necessary to determine if there is an independent contribution to their use as a physical intervention, and how they may best be deployed to optimise their contribution. The type of fabric and weave used in the face mask is an equally pressing concern, given that surgical masks with their cotton‐polypropylene fabric appear to be effective in the healthcare setting, but there are questions about the effectiveness of simple cotton masks. In addition, any masking intervention studies should focus on measuring not only benefits but also adherence, harms, and risk compensation if the latter may lead to a lower protective effect. In addition, although the use of medical/surgical masks versus N95 respirators demonstrates no differences in clinical effectiveness to date, their use needs to be further studied within the context of a well‐designed RCT in the setting of COVID‐19, and with concomitant measurement of harms, which to date have been poorly studied. The recently published Loeb RCT conducted over a prolonged course in the current pandemic has provided the only evidence to date in this area (Loeb 2022).
https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-wo...irus-masking-mandate-health-respiratory-virus
Study finds mask wearing likely makes 'little or no difference' regarding flu transmission

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
How can they do a study like that when everyone in the medical community is wearing masks?

Are there actually hospitals and doctors' offices where the workers are not wearing masks?

There aren't any around here that I know of.

Of course, when they leave the office, they might be removing their masks.

(Can you tell I don't trust "studies")

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A Mask to an airborn-Flu-Virus,
is like a Chain-Link-Fence to a Mosquito.

The Mosquito never even noticed that the Fence was there.

Masks were designed for containing airborn-Saliva particles, and loose-Hairs, during Surgery.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
How can they do a study like that when everyone in the medical community is wearing masks?

Are there actually hospitals and doctors' offices where the workers are not wearing masks?

Of course, when they leave the office, they might be removing their masks.

(Can you tell I don't trust "studies")
Oregon, Washington (and most other states) are canceling the health care office mask mandate.
https://apnews.com/article/end-mask...-care-oregon-4169e794db108f9c7dcbfc69e1e2356b

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Washington and Oregon will soon drop mask requirements in health care settings, state health officials said Friday, moving to lift the last major masking requirements meant to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The virus is currently so contagious that masks are useless to stop the spread. Just look at what happened in China (a very large population with minimal general previous population COVID-19 exposure) after they stopped keeping people in defacto Covid home prison where masking is absolutely mandatory and harshly enforced. 80% of the entire population was infected in a month. You don't need much of a study to judge the lack of current masking effectiveness.

The current scientific evidence is pretty clear about masking.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/hong-kong-lifts-covid-mask-mandate-rcna72641
HONG KONG — For the first time in almost 1,000 days, the people of Hong Kong were legally allowed to go outside without wearing masks Wednesday.

But it might take some getting used to.

“It does feel a little bit weird, I feel naked!” Connie Lin, an artist, said as she passed by Times Square in the bustling shopping district of Causeway Bay. “I think people in Hong Kong are still worried about Covid, that’s why many are still wearing masks today.”

The Chinese territory’s leader, Chief Executive John Lee, said Tuesday that masks would no longer be required indoors, outdoors, in schools or on public transportation, ending the last major restriction in a city whose anti-Covid policies were among the toughest in the world.
Then omicron happened. Masks were no match for the highly transmissible variant, and Hong Kong experienced its worst outbreak of the pandemic early last year, recording one of the world’s highest death rates per capita.

Hong Kong officials responded in part by temporarily ending a mask exemption for outdoor exercise. Police and undercover officers even patrolled the city’s hiking trails, handing out fines.

By the end of 2022, the virus had infected the majority of Hong Kong’s 7.3 million people. The public was becoming increasingly impatient with mask requirements that no longer seemed necessary, especially as other governments in Asia eased their mask mandates or dropped them altogether.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

I visit 3 doctor's offices on a regular basis and they haven't been wearing masks for at least 9 months now, probably a year. This is in TX.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
And yet, 2020-2922 flu season was far below the normal year in cases. Something is not adding up.
Physical isolation and ventilation are what's missing in the equation, not masking. Proper air exchanges to remove the virus was woefully inadequate.
https://khn.org/news/article/how-better-ventilation-can-help-covid-proof-your-home/
“Ventilation matters a lot,” said Dr. Amy Barczak, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. “If you’re taking care of someone at home, it’s really important to maximize all the interventions that work.”

To understand why good ventilation can make a difference, it helps to understand how the novel coronavirus spreads. Scientists have learned a lot in two years about its infectious mechanisms.

Viral particles float through the air like invisible secondhand smoke, diffusing as they travel. Outside the home, viruses are quickly dispersed by the wind. Inside, germs can build up, like clouds of thick cigarette smoke, increasing the risk of inhaling the virus.

The best strategy for avoiding the virus is to make your indoor environment as much like the outdoors as possible.
It's a moot point now as we've all been exposed several times and the vast majority of us have vaccine and/or natural immunity but it is a data point for the next time.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Physical isolation and ventilation are what's missing in the equation, not masking. Proper air exchanges to remove the virus was woefully inadequate.
https://khn.org/news/article/how-better-ventilation-can-help-covid-proof-your-home/

It's a moot point now as we've all been exposed several times and the vast majority of us have vaccine and/or natural immunity.
So all the improved ventilation was removed this year, causing the higher than average flu season? I agree that distancing was probably the biggest factor in the 2020 season.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So all the improved ventilation was removed this year, causing the higher than average flu season? I agree that distancing was probably the biggest factor in the 2020 season.
Ventilation was being outdoors eating on street benches in the winter. The COVID related HVAC ventilation improvements are still happening.
https://www.ed.gov/improving-ventilation-schools-colleges-and-universities-prevent-covid-19
https://www.bu.edu/sph/news/article...ts-in-schools-will-reduce-covid-transmission/

No, we lost immunity from flu infections during the covid peaks because of effective interdictions for both flu and covid. It's catching up as we return to normal but the data shows we are likely in the normal (pre-covid era) flu range as the uncertainty is large.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

1678030608457.png

I've always believed that Dr. Fauci was correct in his initial assessment of masking because it was from long term personal experience dealing with deadly viruses. The long term data seems to agree with his initial assessment.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It may be the last truthful thing he said, however he has since admitted he was lying to protect the supply of masks for the medical community.
That's bogus IMO, he didn't lie to protect masks supply, IMO he made a logical decision to not buck the dog and pony show of officials 'doing something ' before vaccines were ready. His actions of not wearing masks at private events is IMO the best evidence of his real thoughts.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
That's bogus IMO, he didn't lie to protect masks supply, IMO he made a logical decision to not buck the dog and pony show of officials 'doing something ' before vaccines were ready. His actions of not wearing masks at private events is IMO the best evidence of his real thoughts.
That or he wanted to see a rise infections in an effort to ensure a large uptake in vaccinations. (If so, he not only over-estimated the efficacy of MRNA-based Covid therapies but also overlooked the possibility that such treatments could lead to increased rates of myocarditis, pericarditis, among other complications.)

He does after all hold the rights to a number of Covid-related patents, which obviously poses a conflict-of-interest for someone who happens to be effectively in charge of setting national health policies.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
He's told a tale or two but he's always been more truthful than those pushing wild conspiracy theories about him.
Proof?

He's directly responsible for the deaths of over 7 million people worldwide, and covering it up. I can't see why anyone would defend him at this point. My opinion of course, but I do believe that's what will ultimately be revealed. Maybe not in his (or my) lifetime. It'd be hugely embarrassing for both the U.S. and China, so there are a lot of reasons it may never come out.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Proof?

He's directly responsible for the deaths of over 7 million people worldwide, and covering it up. I can't see why anyone would defend him at this point. My opinion of course, but I do believe that's what will ultimately be revealed. Maybe not in his (or my) lifetime. It'd be hugely embarrassing for both the U.S. and China, so there are a lot of reasons it may never come out.
I don't want this thread closed so I'm not going there.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I also don't want this Thread closed so I'm not going there either.

You must never break the reality of the people who worship their numerous Fake-News-Narratives,
or You will suffer the consequences of their ignorance.

Definition of "Ignorance" ..........
ĭg′nər-əns
noun
  1. The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.
  2. The state of being ignorant; want of knowledge in general, or concerning some particular matter; the condition of not being cognizant, informed, or aware.
  3. The condition of being ignorant; the lack of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
More at Wordnik

The truth will be revealed ..............
But it's happening waaaaay slower than I would prefer.

I've been wishing for these various conclusions to become Public knowledge for more than ~40-years,
I guess I can wait a little bit longer.

The average "Brainwashed-Masses" are going to have a really big chunk to bight-off and swallow
as they adamantly attack anything that is supposedly "not normal", ( at least according to them ).