Petition for a "Dislike" button.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
This isn't intended to be a weapon of any kind, however sometimes there's a comment that just makes you slap yourself in the forehead and shake your head. There should be a button for that. Like when someone tells a corny joke or makes a non sensible answer. The dislike button can also be used to chastise a member who's being negative without violating the community guidelines. Lately I've been seeing some negative comments that aren't specifically directed at another member - but it's obvious who it's pointed at. I've been a victim of such negativity and I've seen where others have been too. Again, it doesn't violate guidelines because it's not specifically calling someone out. Nevertheless it can be apparent who the target is by insinuation. I think it's time this sort of thing was addressed.

That's why I'd like to see or hear your opinions on whether a dislike button would be useful or not. Again, it's not intended to be a weapon, and perhaps if you click the dislike button that person gets a single dislike from an anonymous member. But it's a way to let a person know they're flirting with crossing the lines of respecting each other. I would imagine I'd probably have gotten a dislike from time to time. And maybe deservedly so. OK. I know it goes both ways.

What do YOU think? What's YOUR opinion? Is it a good or bad idea?

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Other forums have removed their "dislike" or similar options, as nothing good ever came of it.

Just caused upset and misery

If you have a problem with a post or poster, have the guts to just say so in a reply, or in severe cases report the post to a moderator

Anonymous bitching is troll heaven

That is my observation so far on other forums

I think it is a terrible idea

I vote for no dislike option

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't even know if the forum software allows for the addition of options like that, so it may be a moot point.

But even if it did, it doesn't matter whether it was intended to be a weapon or not, that is exactly what it would immediately become.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
How about a "will everyone else please shut up because the TS understands my explanation and everyone else's explanations are confusing him" button? (so that everyone contributing to the thread can used it)

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, I must admit; I've heard plenty of argument against it. I guess in a democratic society - majority rules. Besides, you all make some pretty good points for not having one. I concede. No "Dislike" buttons.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
How about a "will everyone else please shut up because the TS understands my explanation and everyone else's explanations are confusing him" button? (so that everyone contributing to the thread can used it)
Your button suggestion may have to be abbreviated to...
weepsubtTSumeaeeeach

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
This isn't intended to be a weapon of any kind, however sometimes there's a comment that just makes you slap yourself in the forehead and shake your head. There should be a button for that. Like when someone tells a corny joke or makes a non sensible answer. The dislike button can also be used to chastise a member who's being negative without violating the community guidelines. Lately I've been seeing some negative comments that aren't specifically directed at another member - but it's obvious who it's pointed at. I've been a victim of such negativity and I've seen where others have been too. Again, it doesn't violate guidelines because it's not specifically calling someone out. Nevertheless it can be apparent who the target is by insinuation. I think it's time this sort of thing was addressed.

That's why I'd like to see or hear your opinions on whether a dislike button would be useful or not. Again, it's not intended to be a weapon, and perhaps if you click the dislike button that person gets a single dislike from an anonymous member. But it's a way to let a person know they're flirting with crossing the lines of respecting each other. I would imagine I'd probably have gotten a dislike from time to time. And maybe deservedly so. OK. I know it goes both ways.

What do YOU think? What's YOUR opinion? Is it a good or bad idea?
Tony, I know you've withdrawn your suggestion but I wanted to respond.

The spirit of the idea is really good. The principle behind the suggestion is spot on. The trouble is the irony that the bad actors you are trying to call out will be the first to weaponize the tool intended to squelch them.

I have noticed you post in defense of someone you think is being unfairly treated and I always appreciate that. I think using the existing like button on a post disagreeing is the best way forward.

I certainly believe that the overwhelming majority of AAC members would not abuse a dislike button. Unfortunately, it takes only a small number to cause trouble.

Online reputation metrics are HARD.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
There is a big distinction between saying “I disagree with you.” and saying “I disagree with you because. . . . . . . “.
If you disagree, then explain why, or keep quiet. No one is going to come round a thump you, even if you have filled in your details on the “where I live” post.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
A "Dislike" Button is either being lazy,
or,
it would be wanted due to the fact that You can't actually argue the point that You "Dislike".

An explanation of your "reasoning" is always needed for clarification,
or it would mean nothing other than your "feelings" are hurt somehow.

And, if this would be an "anonymous" Dislike-Button, it would be a complete disaster.

Your biggest enemy is your Ego,
and most people don't even know what an Ego is,
they think that their Ego is what they are.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
it would be wanted due to the fact that You can't actually argue the point that You "Dislike".
Among many posts that seemed snarky toward me, I've always wanted to respond to many of them. Often I opt not to respond not because I can't defend myself but rather it would possibly start a war with someone. I can think of two individuals who are often at each other's throats and I wouldn't want to be there.

The key incident that spurred me to this post is that someone made a statement to something someone said jokingly, whereby I made a comment, which then elicited from another member to ask a derogatory question pointed (as is my perception) at me. I could have been rude and been snarky in return but chose a higher road. The notion of a dislike button would have empowered me (and others who may have seen it the same way I did) - (which others HAVE made snarky responses) the ability to come as a community to say "we disapprove of your response." As before mentioned, this offender did not specifically mention me, nor did they directly attack me. But it seems by way of implication that I was the target of a totally unnecessary comment.

Sadly, and I do agree, others may abuse the button. "Ooh! Look! @soandso left a post. I'm going to dislike everything they say just to be a jerk to them." So the reason why I relented on this issue is exactly that - others will certainly use it to harass others. It's definitely a good idea to NOT have a dislike button. I was thinking with my feelings rather than my head when I started this post.

To this point I have not reported the individual who seems to have been snarky toward me. Partly because it does not specifically target me; even thought it feels like it is directed at me. I'm a big boy now. Sticks and stones - and all that sort of stuff, I am over it. I've considered the source and the sources history. Sometimes you have to put up with a neighbor's dog barking incessantly. It's an inconvenience, but eventually the dog loses interest in whatever set it off and will quiet down. I'm sure this member will eventually quiet down too. And if not - I can always use the "Iggy" button.