period of signal

bhuvanesh

Joined Aug 10, 2013
i am reading signals and system by oppenheim.There they shown way to found how to find period of a signal,but did not show to find the period of signal when it is in sum like x(t)= sin5t-4cos7t .Here i can find period of individual signal(i mean sin5t and cos7t) but with that how can find period of x(t).Thank you

bhuvanesh

Joined Aug 10, 2013
So what is the LCM of the period of sin(5t) and cos(7t)?
T1=2pi/5 and T2=2pi/7 and lcm of (5,7) is 1 .But here i have irrational number like 2pi/5 and 2pi/7 .so how can i perform lcm among this numbers?

What is the least common multiple of √2 and √3?
That cannot be period of signal since for the signal to be period it should rational multiple of 2pi. Your values are irrational

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
T1=2pi/5 and T2=2pi/7 and lcm of (5,7) is 1 .But here i have irrational number like 2pi/5 and 2pi/7 .so how can i perform lcm among this numbers?

That cannot be period of signal since for the signal to be period it should rational multiple of 2pi. Your values are irrational
Think of the name - Least Common MULTIPLE.

The least common multiple of 5 and 7 is 35.

Where do you get that a signal period has to be a rational multiple of 2pi? The value pi itself is irrational!

Are you saying that you can't take a square piece of paper and draw a sine wave along the diagonal such that there is one period from one corner to the other?

bhuvanesh

Joined Aug 10, 2013
sorry ,was little messed up
5:--5,15,20,25,30,35,40
7:--7,14,21,27,35,42
so lcm is ,yes 35

i need some clarification in below but later i come to that before does the least common multiple a fundamental period
Where do you get that a signal period has to be a rational multiple of 2pi? The value pi itself is irrational!

Are you saying that you can't take a square piece of paper and draw a sine wave along the diagonal such that there is one period from one corner to the other?

bhuvanesh

Joined Aug 10, 2013
now x(t)= sin(5t)+cos(7t)
period of x(t)?
period of sin=2pi/5 and period of cos=2pi/7 and lcm of (5,7) is 35. does 2pi/35 a fundamental period of x(t)?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
now x(t)= sin(5t)+cos(7t)
period of x(t)?
period of sin=2pi/5 and period of cos=2pi/7 and lcm of (5,7) is 35. does 2pi/35 a fundamental period of x(t)?
Yes, though I'm not sure you fully understand it. What would your answer have been had the problem been

x(t) = sin(4t/7) + cos(3t/5)

bhuvanesh

Joined Aug 10, 2013
Yet I don't understand clearly

Here period is( 7/2)pi and (10/3)pi
If there is integer I can say LCM of them but here it is fraction .any simple way to find LCM of such fractions

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yet I don't understand clearly

Here period is( 7/2)pi and (10/3)pi
If there is integer I can say LCM of them but here it is fraction .any simple way to find LCM of such fractions
What's the LCM of 1/2 and 3/8?

Hint, what is (1/2)x3? What is (3/8)*4?

The LCM of two values x and y, is simply the smallest value of z such that

z = (k1)x = (k2)y

where k1 and k2 are integers.

(k1/k2) = (y/x)

Since k1 and k2 are integers, this requires that (y/x) be rational. But as long as (y/x) is rational, then there DOES exist a pair of values k1 and k2 for which the required relationship holds true.

Note that this does NOT require that either y or x be rational, merely that their ratio be rational. They can both be irrational as long as the irrational part cancels out in the ratio.