pcb introduction

daniy2305

Joined Nov 7, 2020
hey everybody, i am an electrical engineer student and i been given an assignment to design footprints of components in pcb, and to design layouts.
i found a lot of videos but it still hard for me to focus on what i need to do, im working with the OrCAD PCB.
for my understandment to design a foot print i need the dimensions of the component and draw it in the program but im not so sure about that.
i red a manual for pcb and in the end there were exampels but i needed to upload some files from the pcb libarary and i couldnt find them.
if someone have a guide or can direct me what to do ill be greatful.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
for my understandment to design a foot print i need the dimensions of the component and draw it in the program but im not so sure about that.
What's unclear? Have you ever seen a PCB without all the components on it, i.e., bare pads for SMD and plated holes/pads for through-hole components?

i red a manual for pcb and in the end there were exampels but i needed to upload some files from the pcb libarary and i couldnt find them.
if someone have a guide or can direct me what to do ill be greatful.
I think that's what your professor (?) wants you to do. Suggestion: Go the the component's datasheet. Recommended footprints are usually toward the end, or there will be a link to the manufacturer's recommendations for that particular package. The device's datasheet will tell you what package(s) are used.

daniy2305

Joined Nov 7, 2020
thank you for your answer, i searched the data sheets and i saw recommendations for footprints, but i cant find the appropriate pin size to do the footprint and i cant understand what pins they are by their names, i attached a photo of the pin selection screen.
and do you know how can i import libraries to the software?

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Is it through hole or SMD? If SMD, there won't be a hole. In fact, putting a hole in an SMD pad can be a bad idea.

SMD = surface mount device