PCB designing and software

yatindeshpande77

Joined Dec 20, 2015
Hi, I am new in pcb design, i was in uC programming before this!
I am going to ask a quetion which is asked many times before this in one way or other!
But as they were old thread i thought to make a new one.

Which is best pcb layout design (and even simulate if possible) software which is free !!! I need to design few PCB with two layer at max, also thinking of using toner transfer method which will be most suitable for this as a student level or beginer level!
I am not intended to use any smd component but yes will need to use few controller that's what my maximum complexity level!
I am using proteus as I needed that in simulation in my times of controller coding! But it dont have all footprints and i heared that it don't follow all expert rules???
So any suggestions?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi. As you say, there are numerous threads about the topic, and therefore a great number of opinions.
You have; EagleCAD, KiCAD, DipTrace, ExpressPCB, and a lot more. I think that ExpressPCB is the easiest to learn, then DipTrace, KiCAD and EagleCAD.

I used KiCAD for a while, then I switched to EagleCAD.

It all boils down to how much effort you put into understanding, learning and if you are going to make more boards in the future.

yatindeshpande77

Joined Dec 20, 2015
  1. Is Proteus inbuilt ARIS is ok or do I need to switch?
  2. Xpress pcb is not simulating one (its like paint), does eagle supports simulation!
  3. I observed that many experts use eagle!!! But is only free for 30 days!?!
  4. I am ready to learn but need long lasting solution that's all!

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
1. I think so...
2. In the latest version of eagle, I think there is some sort of interaction with LTSpice. I have not tried it.
3. As far as I know, eagle is free for as long as you want, but there are some limitations.
4. IMHO: EagleCAD, KiCAD or Diptrace is you best shot.