PCB design in Eagle....

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi,

I have started working in eagle for PCB with Gerber file for production...
As i want to make Led display so, i need Gerber file which can be generated from eagle...
so, I have few question 1st how to change the size of layout i mean how to have big size for designing when i paste/drop the component its shows out of region is there any option for working area..as i am designing board no schematic just for saving time...

thanks

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
...as i am designing board no schematic just for saving time...
I don't use Eagle so I don't know any specifics as to how to set the board size. I would think that is covered in the Help documents.

Going direct to the PCB may appear to save time but... when your board doesn't work it will definitely cost money to fix the errors.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
you can zoom in and out on specific points by using the middle wheel of your mouse. You can zoom out, move your cursor to the point you want to zoom in on, and zoom back in.

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
In Eagle PCB layout ...

Select the MOVE tool (it looks like arrows).

Grab the board outline at the top right corner.

Drag the board outline to whatever size you want.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
When you make a board without a schematic, eagle doesn´t show the dimensions. The free version is limited to limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches). So you might consider drawing a rectangle of these dimensions to see where to place your components.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
When you make a board without a schematic, eagle doesn´t show the dimensions. The free version is limited to limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
Taht mean for large size i have to go with schematic???

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have done this but pasting/droping of component can't be done with this say out of board can't paste...
Did you draw your board outline? There should be a gray box on the screen. If there's not, draw a box beginning at the origin while in the dimension layer setting. Give it a 0 pt. thickness. From there, you should be able to drag the components in.

I suggest you start from the schematic, rather than jumping in headfirst into the PCB layout. It'll make things a lot easier for you in the long run.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In the free version of Eagle, you are limited to a board of approximately 4" x 3.2". If you need a larger board area, you either need to pay the registration fee, or use a different product. If you plan on using the output for a production board, you need to register the software.

You should always generate a schematic using the schematic capture module prior to creating a PCB layout.

Use Erc (error check) early, and use it often. If you don't rectify the errors reported by Erc, you will most likely have errors in your PCB.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
yes its for led display
In that case you'll need to either buy the professional version of Eagle (to get the larger board size) or find another software that can give you the space you need. You may like to try KiCAD (It's free, so I'm not sure if it has limits or not). It may be worth a try though.