PCB component identification help.

FeralCat

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Hi, I'm trying to disable the receiver circuit on a garage door opener and can't identify this component. I've seen these before but can't figure out what it is. Thanks

IMG_2362.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It is an inductor and it looks like it has a hexagonal hole inside which is probably to adjust the inductor value to tune the radio part of the circuit.

FeralCat

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Thank you all for the quick answer!

I removed the variable inductor from the board to try and disable the boards receiver. If I understand how this works, removing it will completely eliminate the IC from seeing the transmitters signal/code. Am I correct in this assumption ?

Thanks !

Kris

FeralCat

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Errm... I have to ask... Why do you want to disable the receiver?
The system is an older rolling code system that was hacked and a vehicle take with at least one of the remotes for the old wireless garage door system.. The upgraded Camberlain security 2.0+ upgrade does not use the original receiver.

I'm completely disabling the original receiver to eliminate the possibility that the old remote or hacking can be used again. The new security 2.0+ system may not be a huge improvement but at least its supposed to be 900Mhz as opposed to 300-400Mhz.

FeralCat

Joined Feb 9, 2016
I take that to be Chamberlain?
They make most of the N.A. G.D. openers, inc Sears etc.
Max.
Yes, I saw that too. Its the same board as other systems. Unforcunetly the system is designed so that the wall mounted push button and security 2.0 upgrades push button are all connected to that board so even with the new security 2.0 upgrade the old remotes and system continues to operate.