PCB artwork. Convert vector artwork to Geber?

turantual

Joined Feb 28, 2018
I want to add artwork to either a silkscreen or copper layer. I'm able to export the artwork files to various vector formats like DXF and HPGL (plt). However, I can't figure out how to convert those file formats to Gerber. I use Sprint Layout. Maybe the big design programs have this capability, but I don't have the time/money to to learn/buy one of those. So, how can I convert vector formats to Gerber?
Thanks!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That still doesn't answer the question, it seems.

In Eagle 7.x, one can use a ULP to import vector formats. I usually use DXF. They can then be incorporated in the PCB and exported with the rest of the Gerbers for that PCB.

OP needs to respond whether his program can import s vector format like that.

Edit: Clarified which Eagle version I use.

Last edited:

turantual

Joined Feb 28, 2018
Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. Yes, I basically want to import vector art into Sprint. However, it seems it's only possible to import Gerbers. Therefore, I need an alternative way to convert dxf, plt or similar into Gerber.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. Yes, I basically want to import vector art into Sprint. However, it seems it's only possible to import Gerbers. Therefore, I need an alternative way to convert dxf, plt or similar into Gerber.
You could import as DXF (or other) into a real program like Eagle, then export from Eagle as a Gerber... and proceed as I outlined. Convoluted and probably unnecessary.

I have a hard time believing there is not a fix to import something like a DXF file. BTW, DXF does not import into Eagle as a DXF, it imports as one of the assignable layers. That can be very useful.

So, in your search (post #6) don't expect it to import as DXF or whatever, but rather as an assignable PCB layer.