pc Power Supply Dead?

BobY@19

Joined Mar 1, 2019
I had removed a computer power supply to make a benchtop power supply. I 3D printed a case for it. and had tested out power supply by jumpering green to negative and it was good then. In the process live cuircuit and accidentally shorted out enough to trip breaker. Now I can only get case fan to monentary spin. As if getting juice from caps. One of the "coils" or "mini transformers" looks like one edge is deformed melted. i would post a picture but cannot get off phone. the part in question has these id on top yellow tape? says 182-0122110R 1303HF V14 HUNTKEY 130-1" Sorry thats all i can offer for ID. There are no fuses on this board and nothing else shows evidence of short The power supply is a DYNEX model DX-520WPS. I know power supplys are not expensive today, but I'd like confirmation this ones toast

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
It will have gone through Overcurrent mode and probably blown the MOSFETs or power transistors..for the cost of a new one it's not worth the hassle of repair.

BobY@19

Joined Mar 1, 2019
It will have gone through Overcurrent mode and probably blown the MOSFETs or power transistors..for the cost of a new one it's not worth the hassle of repair.
Thank You I thought it would be dead. Good for me I have another computer power supply to use

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thank You I thought it would be dead. Good for me I have another computer power supply to use
If your community has an e-waste collection area - a dump - it'll be loaded with old PCs. Most will have working power supplies. So yeah, not worth much effort to repair one that you know was mistreated.