Parasitic capacitance of a bridge rectifier diode

uwed

Joined Mar 16, 2015
I need to know a good estimate for the parasitic capacitance of a bridge rectifier diode (50/60Hz) roughly in the parameter range 1.2V and 10A. I can't find anything in datasheets. I would like to know if this capacitance is in the range of 10pF or 100pF or 1nF or even higher.

uwed

Joined Mar 16, 2015
Thank you, a good starting point! Do you think the capacity would increase in case such rectifier diode dies would be in a little power module (diode bridge)? Probably not ... ?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A dead diode that is shorted, therefore is not a capacitor, it's a conductor.
A dead diode that is open is probably still a capacitor.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I need to know a good estimate for the parasitic capacitance of a bridge rectifier diode (50/60Hz) roughly in the parameter range 1.2V and 10A.
Are you talking about reverse biased junction capacitance, or forward? When reverse biased, junction capacitance will decrease with increasing voltage. The opposite happens when forward biased.

uwed

Joined Mar 16, 2015
It is about a simple model of common mode current paths in a converter. So I thought about a parasitic capacitor in parallel to an ideal diode for the diode bridge. But according to comments from crutschow and dl324 it wouldn't work like this? I know there are good spice models available for such a task but for this project I use a simulator that works with ideal diodes and switches.