Parallel Port in Windows 7 / 10?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am still thinking about taking the plunge and buying one of those cheap CNC printers. The problem is it uses a parallel port on the PC for the controller. I have a port on my PC but have never used it.

I have heard rumors that the port won't work under Windows 7. Is there any truth to that? What about Windows 10?

The port does show up in device manager.

I do have an old Epson printer but before I drag it out to test the port I figured I would check here first on the rumor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It works with 32 bit versions of Windows 7 or older. With Windows 7 x64, or any versions of 8 or 10, you need to use an external motion controller.
What system are you running now?
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It works with 32 bit versions of Windows 7 or older. With Windows 7 x64, or any versions of 8 or 10, you need to use an external motion controller.
What system are you running now?
Max.

Nothing yet. I am going to be buying a CNC3020. I see where you can buy an Arduino and shield for $30 on eBay. Cheaper than than but shipped from China. You got to wonder why they have not moved to USB. With those Arduino shields it would be an easy fix.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Most are not aware your product key for Windows...64 will also work for Windows...32. I have to deal with allot of older hardware and this has saved me more than once. Get the install media for the 32 bit version of your Windows, do a clean installation and use your existing product key for authentication. This works with 7, 8 and the retail version of 10. Only catch is it must be the same version, Home, Pro etc.