over current indicator

Chetan_Jadhav

Joined Mar 2, 2017
Hello,
I have a power supply of 12v 2A and i am using it to drive a motor. i want to make a circuit such that when the current through motor will be more than 1A LED should glow. please help.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There are several ways to do this, with different degrees of accuracy and complexity. Look up "current shunt" to learn about the sensing element. Also, you can search for a current monitor schematic to see several examples.

ak

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Search for current sensing with op amp,,,, or current sense transformer circuits,

These are two methods to sense current levels.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I do not have any idea about how to mesaure a current,i have used ammeter but that is not possible to use in circuit obviously.
OK, so you want to measure current and throw or trip a flag when the current exceeds a level, in this case 1 amp. There are a few ways to go about it as was mentioned. Obviously you will need some method to sense current. A simple Google of "current sensors" will get plenty of results. I would use something like this. Using a pre packaged device makes things easier. This will give you a voltage out which is proportional to the sensed current. The voltage can be used with a voltage comparator circuit so when 1.0 amp is exceeded a LED illuminates. You want the comparator to include hysteresis which is explained in the link.

What you want to do is not difficult but does require a basic working knowledge of some electronic theory. You can also look for what I call a turn key solution which is what you want all in one package for a price. Google is your best friend for those solutions.

Ron

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you can afford to lose about 0.6V of your 12V then the simplest solution would be to pass the motor current through a 0.6Ω 3W resistor and use the voltage developed across the resistor to turn on a transistor when >1A motor current is drawn. The transistor would drive the LED.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you can afford to lose about 0.6V of your 12V then the simplest solution would be to pass the motor current through a 0.6Ω 3W resistor and use the voltage developed across the resistor to turn on a transistor when >1A motor current is drawn. The transistor would drive the LED.
Inexpensive and simple, I like that approach.

Ron

Chetan_Jadhav

Joined Mar 2, 2017
thank you very much for this help,
will you please elaborate why specifically that 0.6ohm and 3W resistor? because i cant understand it.i tried to use ohm's law but still can't figure it out.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you're using a L239d, then you will need a sensor to detect the reverse direction current, so you can use a current transformer, or an opamp and series drop resistor like this circuit...

AD46-02_FIG_01.jpg

You will need two op amps across one sense resistor, OR one opamp in series with the chip supply.

Chetan_Jadhav

Joined Mar 2, 2017
i cant understand the graph
the voltage curve looks fine but the current is confusing me.
is it current to voltage converter???
please help.

Last edited: