Outlook POP settings

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
To get WAY off the topic:

I'm trying to configure Microsoft Outlook to send and receive e-mails from my Hotmail account. I do pay for my Hotmail upgraded account, and therefore, according to their FAQ page, I should be able to use POP.

Various web searches have revealed that I should use http as the "type" of server when configuring Hotmail for Outlook. BUT, Outlook only has POP3 or IMAP as an incoming server-, and SMTP as outgoing server options. Also, Hotmail FAQ states that the default port should be 110, and doesn't specify incoming or outgoing. My guess is, they assume you're using Hotmail as the receiving addy. The Outlook default port settings are 95 for outgoing, and 143 for incoming.

Any thoughts (or better yet, solutions) would be appreciated.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You will also need to know your incoming and outgoing server IDs - this should be available from the Hotmail FAQ, otherwise a quick Google should flag it up.

Dave

I'd suggest using IMAP over POP. With IMAP, a copy of your message always resides on the server so you don't have to worry about losing emails if your computer crashes.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'd suggest using IMAP over POP. With IMAP, a copy of your message always resides on the server so you don't have to worry about losing emails if your computer crashes.
POP settings in most major e-mail clients will allow you leave a copy of message on the server for remote access and recovery in the event of a crash. This copy on the server will remain there in definately. The problem I find with IMAP is that it doesn't always download the whole message; therefore if you try to access your e-mails without a network connection you sometimes don't get the whole message, typically just the header.

Dave