Outlook is taking over my computer

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am running Windows 7 on this particular computer, and I'm seeing strange behavior with Outlook and some other j-random app, such as Windows Explorer. If I click on "minimize window" in an app other than Outlook, then an Outlook drop down list appears!

If I restart Outlook, the problem goes away - for a while.

Huh?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I've run Ubuntu. And SLES. And Debian. And... However, it is my job to support Windoze users in corporate America. Hence, I use what I have to use! And normally, as a part of my career I have NO problems. This ruins the record. Now it's only .0001% problem-free. ;)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I've run Ubuntu. And SLES. And Debian. And... However, it is my job to support Windoze users in corporate America. Hence, I use what I have to use! And normally, as a part of my career I have NO problems. This ruins the record. Now it's only .0001% problem-free. ;)
Recently I installed Mint, purely to overwrite the mess left when W10 committed suicide.

There's a spare hard drive laying about, so I might do an install of Mint to keep next to the PC for the next emergency.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I am running Windows 7 on this particular computer, and I'm seeing strange behavior with Outlook and some other j-random app, such as Windows Explorer. If I click on "minimize window" in an app other than Outlook, then an Outlook drop down list appears!

If I restart Outlook, the problem goes away - for a while.

Huh?
Which drop down list? A little more specificity (if there is such a word:p) please? :D

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
chkdsk ran fine - reported no problems. However, something new arose today. I received a low memory error. I see more memory or a new laptop in my future.

Last edited:

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
i assume your familiar with the usual ms fixes? you didn't mention what version of outlook?

i'd be doing a (1) scanpst.exe on it and (2) compacting the data file, that gets rid of the emails you think you've deleted.

restart outlook and see if the problem persists.

and how old the hardware?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes, Outlook 2013, did it, compacted, and yes it does.

I'm not the original owner, so I don't know how old the Lenovo T440 is...

Since I got the low memory error message, I am a) creating a larger, contiguous pagefile and b) upgrading from 4Gb to 12Gb of RAM.

Also considering upgrading to Windows 10 (I have already done so on my personal laptop.)

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
chkdsk ran fine - reported no problems. However, something new arose today. I received a low memory error. I see more memory or a new laptop in my future.
Maybe the pagefile is corrupt. You might try deleting the pagefile (safe mode cmd prompt, as administrator) then let the system re-create it on boot, or run a memory test.