Out In The Woods

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
What season are you romming the woods for now,are the deer safe
from your bow.Do you shoot down from the blind to save your
arrows. Fish has mercury,any warning for game.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Couple answers for you.
Hunting from a blind, bow or deer is only in season with a permit.
Freshwater fish and high metabalism fish (usually with forked tails) have mercury build up. Farm raised, spring fed lakes with dunes to prevent wash off, and saltwater fish with slow metabalisms don't have a mercury problem.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Several years ago we had draught conditions. The farmers, rather than have withering crops drain nutrients, knocked down thier crops with herbicide. Although there was no direct study or monitoring, I reduced my waterfowl shooting that year, thinking that the field feeding birds injested, and may have had residuals that year.
I was drawn this year for Mule buck. Never made it out for early bow. Rut is in full swing right now, but I'm just too damn busy. Maybe make it out next week for a single day with the rifle. Do some rattling at dawn, then some slow stalking to warm up, along with some calls on the grunt, a bit of coyote calling in the afternoon, then some more rattling toward dusk. Not all that interested in dressing/hauling carcass, just getting out and wandering the bush. I'll hold off for the big one, that should keep the odds in thier favour.

Here in Alberta we are dealing with CWD. There are no studys indicating human transfer, but I wear my latex gloves whenever dressing large game.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Just when the 'game' farming industry was picking up steam here in Canada, there was a realization that CWD was quickly expanding across North America. Two winters ago, the wildlife service here mounted a thinning program to reduce the possible spread. Over 2000 animals were shot from helicopters. Hunters have been asked to assist by increasing the bag limits. In further response, International borders have been closed to the transport of cervids, as have provincial borders in Canada. There continues to be transport of animlas due to 'conservation' measures.

The original case was discovered in Colorado in a research facility. It is not known if the disease is naturally occurring or a result of man's 'managment' activities.