Oscilloscope/Function Generator

SmallRedMachine

Joined Feb 25, 2017
Hi, I'm looking for a beginners book that explains things like Function Generators, Sine waves in Electronics and the measurements you do with them, oscilloscope, etc.
I did look at so many articles on the internet but they are either too advanced or very basic explanation.

SmallRedMachine

Joined Feb 25, 2017
We don't know what you know.

Show examples of what you consider to be too advanced and too basic so we can guess where you fit.
Sorry basic was the wrong word to use here, what I meant is everything I have found so far are just some very brief explanations of what they are , types of waves they generate all explained in just less than one page and it won't go any further, nothing about those topics are actually basic for me.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have found so far are just some very brief explanations of what they are , types of waves they generate all explained in just less than one page and it won't go any further, nothing about those topics are actually basic for me.
Most people happily use equipment without knowing how it does what it does. So a few pages describing how to operate a piece of equipment is generally sufficient.

Are you trying to understand how a function generator generates the waveforms?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Function generators and oscilloscopes could be explained using simple mathematics, algebra and geometry.
Tell us your level of schooling (or your age if you so wish to disclose) so we can tailor the discussion to your knowledge level.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Here's a block diagram of a Tektronix FG501 function generator. I had never studied it before and was surprised to see that it used a diode network to shape a triangle wave into a sine wave, with a maximum distortion of 0.5-2.5%; depending on frequency range. It's labeled sine shaper in the block diagram. Frequency range is 0.01Hz to 1MHz.

Attachments