Oscilloscope ext. Z input , TTL output, Amplifier Output

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
On some tektronixs Oscilloscopes there is BNC jacks on the back of the Oscopes.

What is the Ext Z input used for?

There is also TTL output and Ch1 or Ch2 amplifier output, but what would I use them for?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
What model 'scope do you have interest in? The signals on these connectors are not normally used.

The Z input modulates the brightness of the waveform on the CRT. How this works varies a little between 'scope models. You would use this input if you were supplying your own X-Y inputs to the 'scope and needed to blank the beam when the X and Y positions are not valid.

I am guessing that the TTL signal you are referring to is the sweep blanking signal. The blanking signal is active during the visible portion of the waveform. The blanking signal can be used to synchronize other test equipment to the signal displayed on the CRT.

The Channel 1 and Channel 2 are the voltages you see on the CRT. You might use these outputs if you wanted do some kind of signal processing on the waveform you are viewing.

I hope that these quick explanations help.

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
I'm using a Tektronix 2445 , 2246, 2245

The Channel 1 and Channel 2 are the voltages you see on the CRT. You might use these outputs if you wanted do some kind of signal processing on the waveform you are viewing.

What would I use as a Signal Process or what do you mean?

You would use this input if you were supplying your own X-Y inputs to the 'scope and needed to blank the beam when the X and Y positions are not valid.

For a phase shift measurement?

Why would you want the scope to blank the beam with X and Y are not valid?

I am guessing that the TTL signal you are referring to is the sweep blanking signal. The blanking signal is active during the visible portion of the waveform. The blanking signal can be used to synchronize other test equipment to the signal displayed on the CRT.

So I can take the TTL output of the Oscope and plug it into an input or the test equipment needs a blanking signal input?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm using a Tektronix 2445 , 2246, 2245

What would I use as a Signal Process or what do you mean?

If you wanted to do something else with the same signal that's been amplified by the scope's input amplifier

You would use this input if you were supplying your own X-Y inputs to the 'scope and needed to blank the beam when the X and Y positions are not valid.

For a phase shift measurement? No

The Z input can also be used to modulate the intensity of the beam such as using it to display a raster picture.
An example: I used it to generate X-Y dots on a screen to show the data in a small SRAM that I was testing for data dropout during transient EMP (nuclear event) radiation testing. The Z input was modulated so that a bright dot indicated a One and a dim dot indicated a Zero for each memory location. I triggered the horizontal sweep to generate a horizontal line and applied a staircase step signal to the vertical input to generate a series of lines. This, with the Z modulation, generated an X-Y dot display of all the memory locations. I stored a known pattern in the SRAM (all Ones, all Zeros, alternate Ones, diagonal Ones, etc.) and it was easy to see any memory locations that were disturbed after the EMP pulse.
(The machine to generate this EMP pulse consisted of large capacitors charged to a high voltage in an oil filled tank about 15' dia x 50' long. Suddenly discharging the capacitors into a titanium target, generated an intense pulse of X-rays [I think instantly lethal to anyone in its path]. The bang it made when fired shook the building).

Why would you want the scope to blank the beam with X and Y are not valid?

So I can take the TTL output of the Oscope and plug it into an input or the test equipment needs a blanking signal input?

Yes, for example if you want to synchronize some measurements with the observed sweep.
My replies are in blue. As noted the applications for using these ports are few but are available in case you do have an application.

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
Tektronix models 2246 , 2445

If you wanted to do something else with the same signal that's been amplified by the scope's input amplifier

Can you please give some examples of using the ch1 BNC output jack?
Yes I know it amplifies the input signal through the Oscopes ch1 amplifier, but where would i send it to?

Yes, for example if you want to synchronize some measurements with the observed sweep.

So the test equipment would have to have a Blanking input to do this?
But what test equipment would you want to synchronize can you think of?
The TTL output on the Oscope, is outputting a sync signal from the Oscopes beaming circuit?

The Z input can also be used to modulate the intensity of the beam such as using it to display

So you mostly use a Logic signal or a Data signal as a source to the Z input?
A Tech is looking for the Dot intensity blinking or not?

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
The Tektronix 2445 has rear BNC jacks , GateA output and GateB output, what are they used for and how would you use them?

Some Tektonix Z axis inputs are Positive going and others are Negative going , but they are TTL inputs so it's ment to take a logic signal high and low , ones and zeros