On Chip Microcontroller on SOC

saisumaedh

Joined Nov 7, 2017
Hello guys,

I am kind of new to this embedded world. Please bear with me if I have a silly question. I see that most of the SOCs nowadays have their own microcontroller on chip without any requirement of external processors. I would like to know if it is possible to use the microcontroller on one SOC with that of another SOC which doesn't have its own processor on chip. Is this possible or do I have to use another external microcontroller to interface the SOC which doesn't have the on chip microcontroller.

Thanks in advance.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am not sure I understand the problem.
The microcontroller (MCU) is at the heart of any SOC (System On Chip). If the chip does not have an MCU then by definition it is not a SOC.

You would select a SOC because of the MCU along with everything else that the integrated system can do without additional baggage. Hence you wouldn't want to piggy-back another chip on to one that already gets the job done.

Parth786

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Hello guys,

I am kind of new to this embedded world. Please bear with me if I have a silly question. I see that most of the SOCs nowadays have their own microcontroller on chip without any requirement of external processors. I would like to know if it is possible to use the microcontroller on one SOC with that of another SOC which doesn't have its own processor on chip. Is this possible or do I have to use another external microcontroller to interface the SOC which doesn't have the on chip microcontroller.

Thanks in advance.
Why do you want to use two microcontroller's on single chip? If you have micrcontroller you can interface several input otput devices to microcontroller like LED , sensor , display keypad ..etc