Old Regency Whamo 10 Scanner Project 2 Mhz Off Frequency (Stuck on this)

stevecast2024

Joined Oct 8, 2016
High folks... My first post here. I've been a looker for a while, now I need some help. If I'm in the wrong section please let me know.

I'm working on an old Regency Whamo 10 scanner... If anyone remembers these, they were one of the first "Programmable" scanners. These use "Programming Combs" to set the frequency on each channel. You break the teeth off the comb to set frequency. So it turns out that with the unit programmed to 154.415 Mhz, it is actually receiving at 156.415. Looking at the programming sheet we see the following:

O = TOOTH PRESENT X = TOOTH REMOVED
Frequency ___ ___
V
1 154.4150 XOXOXXOOOXOXOOOOXOOO
2 156.4150 XOXOXOOOOXOXOOOOXOOO

So it appears that the issue is with the 6th tooth in on the unit... I have traced this 6th position back to what is called the "Divide by N" board in the scanner itself and down to an IC on that board known as IC512. Looking at the service manual (which is not complete) the voltages are lower then what they are supposed to be on the pin that this line runs to on the IC. This is where I am currently stuck. I do some component level stuff, but I'm not sure where to look next on this issue.

I have attached the schematic for the unit and the pages out of the manual relating to the Divide By N board. I'm hoping maybe someone can shed some light for me.

Thanks!

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Can we assume you have a signal generator to test the scanner?

have you tried that pattern, abet the three connections for band assignment will be different, on another band to see if you get a similar condition?