Old Breaker + fuse panel. Need old electrician...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
In need to learn about a ~1966 household electrical 100A service box/panel that has breakers and edison fuses. It is General Electric, and due to a mental fart cannot remember if model is FTB or BTF or FBT :( and have no access to it for confirming now.

It looks similar to (this from other brand) ----> http://inspectapedia.com/fpe/FPE_Fuse_Breaker_0130_DJF_RSs.jpg

Question is, if the part that hold the edison based fuses fit in an era-sized breaker slot; or if a era breaker fits in the slot that would be left if the fuse carrier/holder is removed.
In other words, can a panel slot take any choice, a pair of breakers or a multiple fuse carrier assembly ?
Like this assembly, would it insert into/occupy breaker slots ?
----> http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mBTrPmeI4QqvH96TQItVMYg/140.jpg

Thank you.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was only 15 at that time, but it looks curiously like you are on the right track. If it was my problem, I would have the face off that breaker panel in about 8 seconds. ;)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I was only 15 at that time, but it looks curiously like you are on the right track. If it was my problem, I would have the face off that breaker panel in about 8 seconds. ;)
I would imagine that breakers from a company made shortly after breakers were introduced would fit the same modular system as their forerunner. Stupid to design two different modular track fuse boxes if you can design a breaker that fit a modular fuse rail.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Stupid to design two different modular track fuse boxes if you can design a breaker that fit a modular fuse rail.
Stupid from an engineers point of view, not stupid from a marketing POV. You can't let people recycle old circuit breakers and fuse blocks for 50 years, it isn't as profitable as making them buy new breakers to fit the new box design or new boxes because they can't buy the old breakers any more. ;)