old and forgotten rectifiers, how do I test it?

hoader

Joined Mar 27, 2015
Old style rectifiers.

I have an old 300 amp Arco arc and TIG welder. It does a fine job stick welding; however, the high frequency section is not working. I downloaded a manual that has a small troubleshooting section. First thing it says is to test the diodes and rectifiers. I need some help on how exactly I test the rectifiers. They are the old metal style. Which terminals are the anode and cathode? The welder has 2 small and 2 large rectifiers as shown in the pictures attached.
Thanks for your time
George

Attachments

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Those are old Selenium rectifiers, they develop high resistance with age, you may be better off replacing with modern stud mount high current versions.
Max.
And when they burn out they generate tons of highly toxic fumes. Replace them with silicon rectifiers

hoader

Joined Mar 27, 2015
Those are old Selenium rectifiers, they develop high resistance with age, you may be better off replacing with modern stud mount high current versions.
Max.
Thanks Max,
The link shows me just what I needed to know. I lost my sense of smell many years ago. Glad to miss the cat pee. I will order some new rectifiers.
Thanks for your help
George