Observations

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I made a post that a ee student did not know the battery voltage
of a common auto. I was corrected for my opinion. Showing you have
to look at all sides of a problem before making a judgement.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Noobs are one thing but my tolerance for 4th year EE students who I doubt could change the batteries in a flashlight has worn thin.
I guess most of them is just hoping coast through some assignment, without doing any work. As thumb rule I never provide the full solution. I prefer to give pointers. Coasters usually pull back then they are asked for additional information. Or they present information that is very vague. Hoping that someone will fill in the blank parts(the complete assignment).

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Noobs are one thing but my tolerance for 4th year EE students who I doubt could change the batteries in a flashlight has worn thin.
Most of them don't know what they are doing exactly. Many learn their lessons by heart. I've noticed how harder it gets for them to solve a question when you simply twist it a bit.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
These posts seemed to be diverging from the original thread, and so have been moved.

We might all try to recall that the purpose of these forums is to be helpful. Becoming endlessly judgmental is not. Pick and choose those threads you post in - or simply ignore.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It is a matter of attitude.
If you want the others to learn something you better help them.
I noticed there are many levels of question around.
Some questions are even to hard for me.

I just pick the ones I can manage and like to do.

Greetings,
Bertus

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There isn't enough time to help everyone. I am selective to those I think I can help... sometimes I come in late because I missed the early posts.

The only ones I loose patience with (and try not to show it) are the ones who move the target while you're helping. Usually by throwing those tidbits of information they didn't include at first.

It is a blessing and a curse I didn't have something like this when I was in college, I would have loved it, but getting my assignments done would have been another matter.

You just have to remember none of us were born knowing electornics, and I would put around 70% of the noobs who join and stay as really trying. The others, well, meh. You don't have to say a thing, there is always someone else who enjoys pounding their head on a brick wall.

As for the ones who are trying, now and again you learn something new, which is where the fun really is.

Hey BeenThere! Whats with the new avitar!?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It is no problem to tell people in this forum that they do not behave. Some examples.
1) I neither can or will do your homework for you. You must tell us what you have done so far and why you struggle
2) You do not listen to what people are trying to tell you, so it is very hard to give you any more help at all
It is blunt, but still in a polite fashion

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
One of the other things that strikes me as curious is that many questions can often be answered by a simple search on the web - so why do I end up doing the search / work for people and then give them the links! It's a breeze for them.

I was encouraged to note mik3 in a recent response to a question had, in effect, politely suggested the OP go do the work themselves. Well done mik3!

I might give that a try in future.

Good idea about taking the Summer off thatoneguy - hope you had a nice time!

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I think the idea is to guide them, if you are confused you come back and ask for help, we help you to understand, then you should be able to do your homework and will find it interesting and fun. If you want us to solve the problem for you straight away, then we assume you don't want to learn electronics :D