Nyquist plot : Matlab?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is hard to tell. If you are asking: "what is the point of the diagram", focus on the point at 1+j0. Does the plot enclose this point or does it not enclose this point? So I guess the point is the point...so to speak.

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
It is hard to tell. If you are asking: "what is the point of the diagram", focus on the point at 1+j0. Does the plot enclose this point or does it not enclose this point? So I guess the point is the point...so to speak.
Thanks..Yeah understand that part : is it possible to draw the plot on Matlab? or something else? : or how to even sketch it : book did not explain before

Understand what plot is for but how to draw it so can do for other examples

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
What you have to do is evaluate the transfer function's Real and Imaginary parts. Then as a function of ω, the radian frequency, you plot the real and Imaginary parts from ω=0 to ω=∞. You can also do the evaluation for negative values of ω, remembering that in the complex domain the point at infinity is a single point.

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
What you have to do is evaluate the transfer function's Real and Imaginary parts. Then as a function of ω, the radian frequency, you plot the real and Imaginary parts from ω=0 to ω=∞. You can also do the evaluation for negative values of ω, remembering that in the complex domain the point at infinity is a single point.
Tried to do this on matlab : didn't work : I am missing something

first matlab use

Please look at image..should learn numpy or scipy?
need to get curve from first image

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not a MATLAB guru and it's been 20 years since I used it, I don't see any complex numbers here. In order to do the evaluation correctly you need to compute the COMPLEX value of the Loop Transfer Function. Then you need to take the Real and Imaginary parts. Once you have the real and imaginary parts you need to plot the data set as if it was a parametric equation. with the parameter ω going from 0 to ∞.

You might want to start by writing the forward transfer function and the feedback transfer function. Now the loop transfer function is the product of those two functions. That is your starting point.
By inspection you should be able to evaluate the Loop Transfer Function at ω=0 and ω=∞. Are those the points you expect on the graph that you want? If not then you need to try again.

What you are looking for is a starting point on the jω-axis at the value of the constant in the numerator βoK, and where you end up is at the origin for ω=∞

I want to see you using functions "imag" and "real" after using "idtf" to create the transfer function, and "evalfr" to evaluate it.
https://www.mathworks.com/help/control/ref/evalfr.html
BTW it took all of 10 minutes to find these things in the online MATLAB documentation.

Last edited: