not quite electronics, defrost heater

rkadish

Joined Oct 9, 2021
I have looked through the forums and have not found what I am looking for however my question is more appliance related in an electronics form.

What I have is a freezer that the defrost heater went out on and is no longer manufactured. The original heater was 300 watts on a 110 line. What I have found as the lowest wattage heater is 575w.

Now here is the question.... If I place two 110v 575w heaters in series I am under the understanding that the voltage will be divided however will the wattage also drop? Will it divide by half giving two 287.5 heater elements? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Since \( Power = \frac{{voltage}^2}{resistance} \) doubling the resistance would reduce total power by half.

The real question is can you make this substitution safely and are you willing to suffer the consequences if your house should burn down and your modification is identified as the cause?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This would likely go better if you posted an image of the heater element along with the dimensions. The reasoning here is that basic heating elements come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes from a number of manufacturers. Band, Cartridge and Strip to name a few types and manufacturers like Watlow. There is a good possibility off the shelf solution.

Ron

rkadish

Joined Oct 9, 2021
Welcome to AAC!

Since \( Power = \frac{{voltage}^2}{resistance} \) doubling the resistance would reduce total power by half.

The real question is can you make this substitution safely and are you willing to suffer the consequences if your house should burn down and your modification is identified as the cause?

I have replaced the heater with before with a wattage that was three time the original by suggestion from an appliance guy. The result was a melted cover plate and a have frozen bag of fish sticks. If the elements caught fire they would be extinguished by the frozen foods present and the fact that it is contained in a metal box. Plus again it is in the garage and surrounded by gypsum, not to worried. My biggest concern is the freezer turning to a block of ice and all my beer getting warm.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Plus again it is in the garage and surrounded by gypsum, not to worried.
Good luck - the gypsum is wrapped in paper and most paper is covered in latex (acrylic dispersion) paint - the paper and paint burn quite well and are the next thing to go up in flames after the smoldering cigarette lights up the couch or bed.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The hazard of fire would be dependent on your installation skills AND CERTAINLY NOT on the reduced power provided by two heater elements in series.
And it must be terrible to live in fear because of not understanding how things work!

rkadish

Joined Oct 9, 2021
Thank you all for your answers, this is what I had thought but need a little bit of an experienced view. Once I open the frige again I will post pics and results.