North Korean Inter Web Connections

wrobinson212

Joined Dec 3, 2018
Hello All,

For those of you who use the application Snapchat, some of you may know how to 'mask' or fake your location. While this in itself isn't that big of a challenge, this allows you to not only use the fake locations geofilters -- but also will place you at that location on your 'Snapmap'. (A map showing you where you and your friends are located).

Naturally, I wanted to mask my location to make it look like I was in North Korea. It works -- so I can use N. Korea's geofilters, and it puts me there on the snap map. I put myself in Pyongyang, North Korea.

While looking around the map, I noticed that there are absolutely no snapchat stories in North Korea -- none. There are loads in South Korea, and China, but none in North Korea. Why is that?

I have read that the majority of North Korea makes little money monthly -- maybe a couple hundred dollars. I have also read that there are only about a THOUSAND ip addresses in the country total. That would explain how there would be little users in the region, but what about the rest? The higher class privileged North Koreans? I think I have found seven korean soldiers you can even add on snapchat. Also, my location is set to pyongyang.. so there should definitely be some activity there -- alas, no contact.

Any insight as to why I am seeing no activity here would be greatly appreciated. Also, any thoughts as to what I should do with the location?

- Cheers.

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think you hit it -there is very little in the way of internet use in North Korea. At this time, they may have to choose between eating and surfing the web. Besides, as @shteii01 indicated, the internet is dangerous for oppressive governments. Notice that the Arab Stpring insurrections were coordinated via Twitter and similar services.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I dont know what makes TS mess with DPRK internet and attempting to socialize with them on snapchat.

I dont recommend it if you dont know any korean language, foods and so on.
You can try South Korea first.

Theres some on instagram and facebook and youtube and you could see what topics theyre interested in.
Snapchat I doubt it seriously.

They dont have open internet and could not for instance install google apps, though since a few years they do have internet access and also tablets and mobiles produced in DPRK.

DPRK is one of the most reclusive and restricted countries in this world if you go as tourist youll be having a guide or have to stay with your group and could not for instance go on a shopping trip or drinking freely, as well you could not use DPRK currency. If you step the line they dont bother to arrest you and you could expect severe punishment. So I also dont recommend to go as tourist in order to play some prank, or hunt for trophies.

If you dont know and eat any korean foods and have zero understanding of the language it is pointless, though those visible on our internet normally can use english language.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It could be risking their life and what little freedom they have to interact with you. You could be responsible for getting someone killed. Why would you do that?

wrobinson212

Joined Dec 3, 2018
It could be risking their life and what little freedom they have to interact with you. You could be responsible for getting someone killed. Why would you do that?

In a way, that is similar to asking, 'why do we liberate people?' Loads of defectors risk their lives trying to contact their family's from the other side. Some NK citizens even risk their lives within the state in order to attempt to contact outside civilization.

wrobinson212

Joined Dec 3, 2018
They dont have open internet and could not for instance install google apps, though since a few years they do have internet access and also tablets and mobiles produced in DPRK.
I'm aware that they do have phony devices with similar to but also modified versions of Android operating systems. Several (also phony) iPads, and so on.

Which, now that I am thinking about it, makes sense why they wouldn't have snapchat. It is because of the fact that there is no google play store, apple store, etc. Two and a half years ago, there was a facebook-like North Korean webpage -- eventually hacked by Scottish student Andrew McKeany when he guessed 'username' and 'admin' as the mod login credentials. In summary, the ones who have access to smartphones or internet access, are probably using some exclusive app (very) similar to snapchat.

As for your cultural comments, I respect your opinion. Just for the record, I have given thought to picking up the Korean language (as I am already learning Mandarin) and teaching English in South Korea.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In a way, that is similar to asking, 'why do we liberate people?' Loads of defectors risk their lives trying to contact their family's from the other side. Some NK citizens even risk their lives within the state in order to attempt to contact outside civilization.
I don't think so and your answer represents a kind of cultural hubris. You should be free to do things at no risk to yourself, but which entails substantial risk for the other party. You're not proposing to put your own life a risk to liberate North Koreans, you're proposing to put their lives at risk to satisfy an infantile curiosity. I strongly disapprove of that notion on your part. You want to help -- talk to the defectors. Figure out together how you can help, at no risk to yourself of course.

In the amateur radio community some of us would love to get a contact with the DPRK (P5). People who have tried to facilitate that have met with some hair raising situations. IMHO we should let this one go.
-- KT8TD

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Well, I have now - thanks. So this would apply to NK then as well? I could still see Chinese snapchat stories.
Yes. I assume NK is running a country wide firewall and only specific individuals have permissions to pass through it.

Chinese firewall is an interesting case. Back in 2011 or '12, when I was playing EVE Online, there was someone in local chat claiming to be from HK and they were playing on regular server (server located in London) by using proxy. If they did not use proxy than Chinese game client automatically connects to the Chinese game server located inside China.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
South Koreans must love the US. Through a bicycle touring organization, I have hosted more South Koreans than people from any other country. I even hosted a Korean monk one time.

I also hosted someone from China. I was pretty shocked at how easily they are permitted to travel. There is alwasy hope out there.