Nordictrack : MC2100ELS 50w 1v something is burned,

mmore

Joined Jan 2, 2022
I have from nordictrack t23.0. It blows the fuse circuit. As you can see in the picture, something is burned just above the ground. What is this? Does anyone have specifications on this? The previous owner of the treadmill has never greased the threaded mill belt. I have not tried to connect a battery to the engine yet. Someone who can help me ?Inkedpic mc2100els 50w v1 _LI.jpg

Jeg har av nordictrack t23.0 . Det sprenger sikringskretsen. Som du kan se på bildet er noe brent rett over bakken. Hva er dette? Er det noen som har
spesifikasjoner på denne ? Den tidligere eieren av tredemøllen har aldri smurt gjengemøllebeltet. Jeg har ikke prøvd å koble et batteri til motoren ennå.

mmore

Joined Jan 2, 2022
Thank you bertus for the help. I have now ordered a couple of these. I still wonder why this varistor was burned. In houses in Norway there are surge protection in every cuircit . Will the treadmill cause this failure ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Often when a power surge occurs, if of sufficient energy, it takes out the MOV or surge protection.
Hopefully it has saved the rest.
If you removed the defective one and power up, if it still blows fuses, then it has also taken something else out,
Power devices such as the motor diode, bridge rectifier or Mosfet.

mmore

Joined Jan 2, 2022
I connect a 18V battery to the motor, it was running. There is no LED ligth on the controllerboard. Still blows the fuse.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That part burned because some other part has failed to where too much current is flowing.
NOT quite true, the MOV is wired directly across the AC input, it is there to try and prevent AC spikes or surges getting through to the controller that can cause damage.
It fails due to over voltage, not over current! :confused:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, if it is an MOV and not an electronic fuse. That is probably the only exception to the rule.
YES, an MOV can become triggered and stuck on and then it is supposed to pop the fuse and shut everything down. One of those failed in an older CRT television of min. The failure wa linked to a failure in the high voltage regulator that was intended to prevent X-rays. So the result was that from then on I had to run the set using an autotransformer that reduced the mains voltage to 96 volts. The set continued to work for another 5 years.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
MOV's are rated mainly by both working voltage and energy dissipation in Joules.
If the energy of the voltage spike exceeds these limits, it usually results in the MOV's destruction.
But unfortunately, when this happens, the spike can also place a stress on other components.
Right after it is the FW bridge Rect, this would be the next in line for testing.

mmore

Joined Jan 2, 2022
I dag har jeg demontert brettet. Jeg fant ut at broensretteren er OK. En av mosfettene er ødelagt, og også denne lille tingen (jeg vet ikke hva det er) som er brent. Den har nummeret C31 . Noen som vet hva dette er?
bu2 pic.jpgbu pic.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Today I dismantled the board. I found out that the bridge straightener is OK. One of the moss fets is broken, and also this little thing (I do not know what it is) that is burned. It has the number C31. Anyone know what this is?
Use the Google translator!!
C31 would be a capacitor, I don't have a reference for it on the versions I have,
looks like R55 a resistor.